Why Have Egg Sellers Disappeared from our Local Market?

babalubird

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
We had 2 egg sellers and beef sellers at our local Grand Prairie market. They have not been there last 2 weeks, only veggie sellers. I'm wondering if new federal, state or local ordinances have knocked them out since all the silly publicity and uproar about our "unsafe" food supply has caused them to lose their spots or develop "cold feet." Does anyone know what is going on?

We so hope to raise poultry of various types on our farm for income and I am so worried new regs will prevent us.

Connie

I would suggest calling whoever manages the market and ask why they are not there. That will give you accurate information, or perhaps even contact information for the usual sellers who can tell you why they have not been there. Could be new regs, personal issues or molting birds who are not laying or who knows what else.

babalu,
I hope this might help hook you up

www.localdirt.com

It's a site to match sellers and buyers of LOCAL small scale, organic, and natural foods.

It may be the season- my egg collection is down 50% and my chickens look moth-eaten. It's the time of year.

Actually, it might be just the opposite, not a case of being banned, but of selling too well -- they may be selling out their entire production to pre-orders and not NEED to go to the market. On several forums, a lot of small local producers have commented that demand for their eggs is way up due to the salmonella outbreak. You may be a victim of their success.

And, as pointed out above, it is the time of year when production has dropped off, so they probably have fewer to sell.

Last edited:
I agree with the above posts. I think that the recent food scares have prompted folks to get as much of their food from known sources. I am getting my chicks today (YEAH!) but have been eating only eggs, beef, pork and chicken from local farmers whose operations I have personally visited.

Was it some work to establish these connections?- Yes a little, but I have met some of the most wonderful folks who have become friends. My beef farmer invites us out to his farm every fall. The kids ride in the gator and take a tour, play in the barn and see where their food comes from. It doesn't get ANY better than that.

Anyway, my egg lady says that she has so many people beating down her door for eggs it is ridiculous. I am glad I found her before this latest scare. Good Luck!

We also do the market but have not been able to atend for 4 weeks now due to selling out all week[56 dozen].While at the farmers maket alot of people ask if they can just come out they get them 50 cents cheaper that way due to the $10 that they charge a week but selling out and can't keep up is my guess

Back
Top Bottom