Why have my chickens stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flocknewbee, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Flocknewbee

Flocknewbee New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    I just recently purchased 4 hens to add to my flock. The chickens I purchased consist of 1 rhode Island,1 barred rock, 1 buff orpington, 1 white leghorn. I was told the chickens are 16 months old and good layers. I have had the chickens here for 2 weeks and only one of the chickens ( buff orpington) is laying eggs. I have 5 other chickens that are only 17 weeks old and not laying yet. I keep the chickens in separate coops for quarantine purposes. I am wondering if this is normal for chickens to quit laying when they are relocated or if I bought a few bad layers. If it is just stress how long can I expect to wait for eggs? any info would be useful.

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    they might be molting, normally, no matter how old they are, they molt to grow their new feathers in. They normally stop laying during this process. Our new flock, which is grown now, wasn't laying even at 24 weeks. Then all of a sudden, they started laying. Do they have a hidden nest?

3. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Could be stress from the relocation, moulting, or you could have older hens. Some people believe hot pepper will kick start the egg laying to return. Chickens don't taste the heat apparently but it opens up the blood flow.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This is the time of year for molting. Do you see a lot of feathers around the coop and run?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  5. Flocknewbee

Flocknewbee New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    The barred rock has lost a few feathers but the other 2 seem fine. How can you tell if the hens are at the end of there laying years?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    At 16 months, they are not at the end of their laying years. I have some almost 5 year old hens that are still laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by