Why have my chicks and hen died?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oja91, May 10, 2016.

1. oja91

oja91 New Egg

May 10, 2016
    So yesterday i had 4 chicks hatch in the coop under broody hen. They seemed fine and mum seemed to be looking after them well and keeping them warm. I provided firstly egg yolks as described on here and later Chick grit. Went to check on them this morning and all are dead, including the hen. [​IMG] Can anyone tell me what might have happened?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Did you give them food (chick feed) and water? What is their housing situation? Are they in with other chickens? What were the temps? Could they have eaten something poisonous? There are too many things to consider other than what you've told.

3. oja91

oja91 New Egg

May 10, 2016
    They had chick feed and water and were in the coop with mum. They were inside a large 'inside' area so were not exposed to the elements and i dont think that they could have eaten anything poisonous. Note that mum died too which is baffling me more so

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    That is why I suspected they ate something poisonous or overheated/froze. It could be that the hen died and without her warmth the chicks perished.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  5. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear that, does the hen have any injuries? Bites, cuts, etc. If she died first, then the chicks could not stay warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by