1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why have my hens suddenly quit laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dougs chix, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Dougs chix

Dougs chix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Waynesville, NC
    I have 13 Rhode Island Reds have been getting eggs from them on a daily basis. suddenly they have all stopped laying!? this does not make sense to me please help if you have any ideas

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How old are they? Have there been any changes in their feed or environment? Have they recently sustained a predator attack?

3. Dougs chix

Dougs chix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Waynesville, NC
    That's what doesn't make sense I don't understand because nothing has been changed they just quit laying four days ago now and nor the environment or food has changed. Some hens are 2 yrs some are this years hatch. They were all firing on all cylinders up to 4 days ago then suddenly theres not a single egg anymore!?!?!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Did they run out of water anytime recently. Do they appear heat stressed?

5. alexander125

alexander125 New Egg

Jun 7, 2015
    Could be a change in climate like hotter or colder and they may be adjusting to the change

6. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Is something able to sneak into the coop to steal eggs? Such as snakes? I've even heard of neighbours going to take eggs while the owner is gone to work.....

7. whysprs

whysprs New Egg

May 7, 2015
    southern Illinois
    Im having the same problem, ive had some one in the middle of the night come and still eggs about 3-4 weeks ago and now they just wont lay at all..

8. kimc83

kimc83 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I have one hen that suddenly quit laying. I know it's her because she's the only one that lays white eggs. At first I thought she was laying them outside the coop, so I kept them in the coop/run for a week and still no white eggs. All the others are laying fine. She seems happy and healthy.
    Any ideas??

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The main reason for hens over a year old to stop laying in the fall is that it's time for their fall molt and there is less daylight.

10. kimc83

kimc83 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Yes, I've considered having less light now, but she is only 7 months old. She's only been laying for a short time. She is a Rainbow. She is a nervous little thing, acts like a road runner, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by