why have they not started laying eggs?

cluckindood

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Hi,
So I recently purchased three australorp hens at around four months old. It has been about three months since (so they are about 7 months old now) and they have not started laying eggs. I have done some research and am still at a loss to why they have not started. I feel like they have a pretty healthy life-style with a coop that keeps them safe from predators. My only real answer has been due to winter/shorter days my only problem is that most articles I've read is about why chickens STOP laying eggs and I'm really curious to why mine have not STARTED laying eggs. Any advice/tips?
Thanks for your help!

It's the season. I have a 34 week old banty Cochin that hasn't laid a thing and a 26 week leghorn/RIR cross that is the same. Basically, until their internal clock says it is sunny enough/warm enough for babies they aren't going to start.

Are you supplementing light? Without 14 hours of light, your pullets may not start laying at all until spring.

I once had a pair of dark brown Leghorn pullets--beautiful birds--that I got late in the year. They didn't start laying until the following APRIL, 11 months later.

Back
Top Bottom