Why - how - would eggs disappear?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BorregoMike, May 23, 2019.

1. BorregoMike

BorregoMike Chirping

Jun 30, 2018
    i have a broody hen that had 6 eggs under her over two weeks ago. She has her nest in deep pine shavings on the floor of the coop, which is very secure. I marked the eggs and decided to let her be. Everyday I have checked her, and many days she would have a new egg under her but also one of the marked eggs is missing, totally missing. It’s not like it got broken, there are no shells, no mess, no nothing, anywhere in the coop. She is now down to three of the original marked eggs. What is happening to these eggs that go totally missing?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You do not include your location in your profile. I'm not certain about your eggs, but would suspect this.
    [​IMG]
    This is just one of many snakes that enjoy eggs.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

3. EastTXMom

EastTXMom Chirping

Mar 15, 2017
    Texas
    If an egg is not developing properly the hen will roll the egg out. If it becomes broken many chickens will eat it.
    Chicken/rat snakes will get in a cool easily and go under a sitting hen. I had a similar issue. I found the snake with 6 eggs inside. Nice/rats will also take eggs But usually not from under a hen.

Search your coop good. Rake the floor/ground well. Move everything. PS don't get too scared when you find it. Not sure your area But more times than most They are non venomous snakes.

4. RowanTheRed

RowanTheRed Songster

Apr 15, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina
    Just found a very large one of those in my coop. Sadly, it made a meal or of one of my 4 week old exchequer leghorn babies. ☹
    20190519_132259.jpg

5. Col1948

Col1948 Songster

Sep 9, 2018
    Manchester UK
    Will a snake swallow ceramic eggs, try leaving a few of those, it might not like them lol?

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  6. Alina28

Alina28 Songster

Dec 28, 2017
    What kind of predators do you find in your area? There snakes here. But usually mangoose are the one who steal my eggs from the coop. So i make sure that the coop is tightly shut and no mangoose gets inside.

7. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    You should add your location to your profile.

JT

8. Cryss

Cryss Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2017
    Northwest New Jersey
    X2!

cavemanrich likes this.
  9. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Snakes will definitely eat ceramic eggs. This one has two in it. FWIW, this snake was released into the brushpile. I don't kill non venomous snakes. I don't know if they can regurgitate the ceramic eggs, but I'd rather give them a chance than to kill them.
    IMG_2331.JPG

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  10. They can't, and that snake died for sure. Which is fine.

Bonniebooboo, Sequel and BlueBaby like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: