Why I have chickens?What Breeds should I have? Decision making thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LoveThemBirds, Feb 23, 2015.

1. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Hi.It is Lovethembirds and I was just making a thread for those who neef help with things like this.Let's get goin!

Why have chickens?
    There are several reasons to have chickens.
    .Eggs
    .Pets
    .Food
    .Money

What are some breeds I should consider?
    .For eggs:
    Some breeds you need for Pure egg production are,the Leghorn or Hybrid birds (sex links).
    Leghorns can lay a minimum of 300 eggs,saying,per year.And it is very rare to ever have one brood.The black rock (black sex links),are a great hybrid.Churn out at the most,280 eggs to 300 per year.Red sex links are another good hybrid.Churning out at least 300 eggs per year.Australorps are probably the top of all egg layers.They were recorded laying the most eggs,PER YEAR.

.For pets:
    Some of the breeds come naturally nice.
    One of those is the Production red.Docilest breed I have ever owned.
    Black sex links are a good lap pet as well.Most Hybrid birds are.Silkies take it to the house level pet.Great breed of chicken in all respect!

.Food:
    The Rhode Island Reds are eggs,pets,and meat birds.Cornish rocks are the main type of chicken inthe meat iindustry

.Money:
    When I say "Money" I mean shows etc.Silkies,frizzles,Polish all fiy that category,and selling them also can get you , hungreds.Swedish flower hens can too.

Please do not say any negative things,being I put in a bunch of effort making this.

Thanks for reading!

2. chickens123432

chickens123432 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    welsummers are great pet birds to!![​IMG] i definitely reccomend them. they're very docile and nice. great free rangers to!

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Here are some good duel purpose birds:
    Wyandottes
    Sussux
    New hampshires
    Marans
    Black and Red Sexlinks (aka
    production reds, red stars, etc)
    Welsummers
    Australorps
    Bramahs
    Rhode Island reds
    Plymouth rocks
    Dominiques

All of these are good duel purpose breeds that fit into most of your category's.
    Hope this helps!

4. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I am not trying to argue,but IN AL respect,a production red is a different breed from the red sex link.See the PR is bred with rirXnewhampshirexleghorn.Both are hybrids though.Red stars,cinnamon queens,brioler browns,any similar names are all rsl.

5. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    But I also want to thank you both for adding that!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've raised Australorps, Leghorns, and Sex Links over the years, and while Australorps are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds (the laying record was set in Australia in the 1920s 364 eggs in 365 days), but most modern Australorps will not match the lay rate of White Leghorns and sex links (which are hybrids as opposed to breeds), both of which consistently churn out more than 300 eggs per year. Actually the current laying record was set by a caged White Leghorn in a controlled environment in 1979 with 371 eggs in 365 days. Both my Black and Red Sex Links have regularly exceeded 300 eggs per hen per year, whereas only a few of my Australorps have reached that many in a year. In the Australorps' favor; they are extremely hardy in both heat and cold, typically longer lived than the sex links, and usually have a longer laying life than the sex links, but if high egg yield is a priority, you cannot go wrong with either Black or Red Sex Links, White Leghorns, or Australorps.

7. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Thanks for adding that!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by