Why I like chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by patandchickens, Jan 30, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In a conversation yesterday, I realized that most of the reasons I really like chickens so much are kind of, er, well, possibly a little odd. Not yer usual "oooo, they are so cute" pet type reasons or "they offer good economic returns" livestock type reasons.

Mainly I like them because they are so low-maintenance and easy to deal with.

Secondly, because they convert kitchen/garden stuff that would otherwise just go to waste (well ok compost not waste, but you know, the direct return is pretty minimal [​IMG]) and turn it into yummy EGGS.

Thirdly, because I get to harbor the illusion I'm getting the eggs for free. It is of course just an illusion, but hey <g>

Fourth, because they give me an excuse to build stuff and tinker, which I enjoy.

Fifth, because I can get into breeding them as a hobby (for utility, and put the culls in the stewpot), without the ethical problems or large financial cost inherent in breeding practically any other kind of pets or livestock.

And sixth, because the feathers on their backs are sooooo soft and satiny to run your hand across, and some chickens have really interesting personalities if you get to know them. Ok, so *that's* a sort of traditional reason to like an animal, so sue me [​IMG]

So why do YOU like chickens in particular?

Pat

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I like mine for those same reasons but I really like the long conversations we have. They listen well and usually don't interupt. They are the best company I have! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Well- I'm only a week into the chicks- but I'd have to say humor. There are so many tings they do that make me laugh it's a joy to have them around. And laughter is good for you! Keeps you healthy.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:I agree.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I love chicken TV! Mine are friendly, soft, funny. I love them. [​IMG]

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Because my hubby just doesn't get it. [​IMG]

Because the kids love it

Because they are so sweet, at least Emily is. She enjoys being pet, is gentle and easy going.

Because they are easy to tend

Because of the eggs

Because of the meat

Because they help me earn some side money (chicks and egg sales)

ummmm

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I just like to look at 'em.

8. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    because they love you no matter what and i like them better than i do som people i know!

9. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Share all of your reasons,

and on days like today when I am home alone theirs is the only conversation I get. Plus they are soooo funny and when I have introduced them to something new they are so curious.

I have a dog too but he wants me to play all the time, football or tricks, so for some quiet time I hide out in the coup. When I am cleaning in there they come to have a look, and they mutter and fluff about, and then they mess it all up again.

they are great.

Jena.

10. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Well- I'm only a week into the chicks- but I'd have to say humor. There are so many tings they do that make me laugh it's a joy to have them around. And laughter is good for you! Keeps you healthy.

Totally Agree!

Also, because my son was home sick...miserable with a 101 fever...and his little Silkie put a smile on his face...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by