Why I Love Momma Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pgpoultry, Sep 22, 2011.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Can a brooder give you this kind of pic.?

[​IMG]

2. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Love it! What's on momma's back?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That is darling! I love that hen? What kind is she? Her feathers are beautiful!

Sharon

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Parson's Wife :

[​IMG] Love it! What's on momma's back?

I believe she's wearing a hen saddle. (It's to protect her back from when the rooster mates with her--sometimes they are rough and can rip off their feathers.)​

5. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Chicmom, you are quite right.

Littlegrey (named as she was daughter of a huge hen called Mrs Grey) is a Dark Brahma who was very popular with the boys.When she was 'off the scene' for a while in a broody cope she moulted and the saddle helped to keep her warm and dry (We have had the coolest summer for 20 years).

Although she was a 'low down the pecking order hen', she turned into a real fighter once her chicks hatched....she still send everyone scurrying when she comes over. Her chicks are VERY confident.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lucky you with your broody brahmas. I got the non-broody type of brahma. [​IMG]

7. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I think there must be something in the (slightly blue) spring water we have (not on mains water) as every one of my 8 Brahmas hens was broody across the summer at least once.

Thinking about it, maybe the water is radioactive, which is why my birds grow so big at times. Actually I think the blue is copper, so it's probably safe. Wondered why I didn't need to have a torch at night, though [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by