Why I LOVE My Vet

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MissPrissy, Jan 22, 2009.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Not my dog and cat vet. She is nice but not like my large animal vet.

The vet that sees my sheep and goats is fabulous.

I had called her about getting a bottle of BO-Se for the pending births of my lambs and kids. She says sure, come over and if we are not here sign the sheet and go down to the office and get a bottle off the shelf.

I didn't make it over there last week and planned to go this week.

Yesterday I get a call -

"Hey, Angie, check your mail box. I was coming out your way and brought a bottle of BO-Se* and stuck in there for you. Give the lambs 3/4 cc the first day and the kids 1/2 cc the first day. That'll get them over any humps."

[​IMG]

She is the best vet ever!

*This part of Virginia is severely deficient in Selenium needed for healthy sheep and other livestock.

The entire bottle was under $20.

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Songster

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    That's a great story. Love it when people are so thoughtful, especially a busy person like your vet. Hats off to her.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    WOW! How nice was that?!?! You do have the nicest vet ever! [​IMG]

4. GaDawg

GaDawg Songster

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    I bet she is a James Herriot fan........[​IMG]

5. That's wonderful.
    I wish we had vets around here like that...
    We actually had a vet who we were using for years decided to drop us....BECAUSE....we didn't sign a FARM VET CONTRACT with him. He was ok for our dogs and cats, even the pot belly pigs. But once I started calling for the sheep goats, horses, and even the butcher hogs. He flat out told me that he would not be our vet anymore because we didn't sign this so called contract...Basically he said it states that we would use him and ONLY him as our farm vet. That we will not go to any other vet for any other reason. Even if he doesn't deal with a certain animal (all birds are non exsistant to this vet by the way). When he told me this whopper of a line I told him we would find a different vet. Now I have never in my life ever heard of so called contract either.....Nor have others I have talked to...Not even the vet(S) we use now....They have never heard of it either...
    I was able to get a bottle of the Bo-Se from the receptionist 2 days before he pulled this.....

So back on track....I wish I had a vet like yours. Sounds wonderful.
    Maybe if youi even need to take an animal to the vet,you can call htem up and tell 'em to check your mailbox on there way to work..hahahahaahah

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Has anyone started a cloning project for people like her?

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Actually she is more than fabulous.

I have a tiny teeny tiny nigi that we had no clue was bred when we got her. She was only 5 months old. [​IMG]

I am terrified of the outcome when things get started.

I talked to my vet extensively about her and how worried I am. She told me to call her ASAP when the goat was in active labor if she began to show signs of struggle. She said if she can't get her hand in there to help she would do a tailgate C-section and save the nigi. She said the procedure she has had to do too many times to count and she has never lost a mother. They heal quick and are usually never have other issues.

How awesome is that??

Oh - the bill? $100. For a goat C-sec. $100. Who wouldn't pay that to save a momma? I have her number on speed dial!

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I LOVE vets like that! We had one on the ranch who is about 90% retired. When we moved we realized we live within 2 miles of his office. He's super to work with. They don't make a lot of them like that anymore. [​IMG]

I'm glad you have a good one too Angie! It makes a world of difference.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You can really tell that she does what she does because she loves it. [​IMG]

10. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Wow she is great. Only a person that truely loves what they do would be so wonderful. And yes we need to clone her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by