Why I LOVE sand in my brooder!

flossyandprissy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 14, 2014
Utah, but from Georgia
Im a clean freak. Sand is for clean freaks! I got a pooper scooper for sand from the reptile section of the pet store and clean up is so easy! No smell, clean chicken feet, water spills dry quickly, sand doubles as dust bath, sand doubles as grit, sand holds warmth, and so many more reasons. I even keep the brooder in my house! I am so going to use sand in my coop and run too. Try sand!

I just got my first chicks and will be moving them to a larger brooder in a day or two. They are only a few days old and currently on paper towels. I have the pine shavings but have been wondering how to keep those clean (I currently can easily Change out all the paper towels, but how to do that with pine?).

I've been considering sand, but my chicks are in the house and wasn't sure about dragging tons of sand through and up the stairs. Is it really better than pine shavings and worth trying?

flossyandprissy - I am also interested in using sand in the brooder. I use chips now. My 3 chicks are 7 weeks old and still in the house. The temps outside at night is 27 and below still here in south central PA.

I just got my first chicks and will be moving them to a larger brooder in a day or two. They are only a few days old and currently on paper towels. I have the pine shavings but have been wondering how to keep those clean (I currently can easily Change out all the paper towels, but how to do that with pine?).

I've been considering sand, but my chicks are in the house and wasn't sure about dragging tons of sand through and up the stairs. Is it really better than pine shavings and worth trying?

It is a bit dusty, but chicks are dusty no matter which you use. I like a clean house and Ive been fine with it.

Prewashed construction sand. Check the "ingredients" to be sure there is no silica (harmful to chickens lungs). Some use play sand, but if you get construction sand it doubles as grit. Got a bag of it on aisle next to lumber in Home Depot.
I was just thinking about using that exact sand to cover the floor of my coop im building (its gonna be huge tho and we have scorpions and rattlesnakes in the area) so i was just thinking of putting some sand in a metal box under the roosts instead) and keeping straight linoliem floors with nothing on top of them through out to keep the critters out...

I was just thinking about using that exact sand to cover the floor of my coop im building (its gonna be huge tho and we have scorpions and rattlesnakes in the area) so i was just thinking of putting some sand in a metal box under the roosts instead) and keeping straight linoliem floors with nothing on top of them through out to keep the critters out... 

Its easy to scoop out with the right scooper! Just make sure the linoleum doesnt get slippery with spilled water or poo cause slipping chickens hurting their legs aint no good.

Back
Top Bottom