why in the world is this egg so large? it wouldnt even fit in a carton

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ldutch123, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Take a look at this monster of an egg. All my girls lay larger eggs but this is crazy. I have 2 silver laced wyndottes, 3 white leghorns a coocoo maran, bardrock, 3 red sexlinks and a polish girl.
    [​IMG] [/img]

2. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    It could be a double yolker. My girls usually had at least one huge egg every week or so. Those I kept for us instead of putting them in the cartons for my customers. As it was many a times I had to use elastic bands to hold the cartons shut because many eggs were too large for exlarge cartons. Of course, I never had a customer complain because of over large eggs. [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Younger pullets are sometimes known to lay these. Ouch. I'd rather not get them, if you know what I mean. The pullets seem to survive laying those, which are often doubles. Not much you can do to stop it and the pullets usually straighten themselves out.

[​IMG]

4. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    Quote:my rhode island red mixes are very tiny but that would be a smaller egg for them than what usually lay
    somtimes they lay eggs with 3 yolks what causes this:D

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:my rhode island red mixes are very tiny but that would be a smaller egg for them than what usually lay
    somtimes they lay eggs with 3 yolks what causes this[​IMG]

Assuming that is a question, the answer lies in the youthful vigor of the young pullet. Too much so! Over stimulated ova production, best I can tell. Seems to also be most common in the hybrids based off the RIR.

6. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    Fred's Hens :

somtimes they lay eggs with 3 yolks what causes this[​IMG]

Assuming that is a question, the answer lies in the youthful vigor of the young pullet. Too much so! Over stimulated ova production, best I can tell. Seems to also be most common in the hybrids based off the RIR.​

she is about 3 years old

7. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Quote:Can you believe it wasn't a double!! It's like all my eggs have a ton of white. Is there any explanation for why the bells have so much white and a smaller yolk? Also my girls r a ill older I was told they were 2 when I got them. Who knows but I like em!

8. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

Younger pullets are sometimes known to lay these. Ouch. I'd rather not get them, if you know what I mean. The pullets seem to survive laying those, which are often doubles. Not much you can do to stop it and the pullets usually straighten themselves out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69833_dscf3104.jpg

Wow. That is a huge egg.​

9. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Wow a triple yolk! My step dad only eats the yolk. He would be in heaven! Lol

10. sacrifice

sacrifice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    We got a few of those when our chickens were starting to lay - sometimes double yolks, sometimes not. It is fun (for us anyway!) to get them - poor chicken though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by