Why incubate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensducks&agoose, Dec 4, 2008.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm totally new to the whole 'hatching' thing, but am letting my B.O. have her way with a few eggs... why do you guys use incubators? is it sheer numbers of eggs? or the hens wont set? or the hatch rate is much better?

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I incubate because I have no broody hen. If I did I probably wouldn't use the bator anymore.

3. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    because the hens may break/eat the eggs/predators/cleaner eggs... i could go on and on..

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

i think i prefer to have faith in nature, rather than keep temperatures and humidity level and to turn eggs and rely on electricity. I'm counting on Hen Power!

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

because it is fun and I am addicted to it, I cannot get off of it! I need more eggs and more bators and ..well........."my name is JMAJORS and I am a hatch-a-holic!"

6. Our problem is that the broodies (we have about 5 of them) get out of the nest box and the other chickens go in and lay THEIR eggs. The broodies then set these. I lift up a piar (ther were two of them in the same nest box) and gezz, 18 eggs were under their feathers behinds.

Problem is, we do not know how long they had been there. We took them ALL and incubated then. Candled and ended up with 2 live chicks.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

chickensducks&agoose :

I'm totally new to the whole 'hatching' thing, but am letting my B.O. have her way with a few eggs... why do you guys use incubators? is it sheer numbers of eggs? or the hens wont set? or the hatch rate is much better?

"is it sheer numbers of eggs?" [​IMG]

"or the hens wont set?" [​IMG]

"or the hatch rate is much better?" [​IMG] I wish!​

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    No broody hen means I must do it myself if I want chicks.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I don't even have a chicken of laying age so far from having broody and to get what I wanted I had to order shipped eggs instead of chicks.

Being more involved in the hatching and care of the chicks is fun and makes them tamer and better pets.

The hatch rate is much lower though which is why when I do have a broody my incubator will see a lot less use.

10. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I don't have broody hens yet - got some cochin mixes and some silkie juveniles - can't wait for them to grow up and go broody!

I'll never incubate again if I can get a hen to do it for me and then raise the chicks as well! [​IMG]

Kelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by