1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

why is avocado bad for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by poulette, Aug 5, 2013.

1. poulette

poulette Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Hawaii Island
    My Coop
    I recently read an article in a magazine that said avocado is bad for chickens. I feed my chickens avocado from time to time and they love it! So does my dog, who buries them all over the yard (and now we're growing them in some pretty funny places!)

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I don't know but its on the bad list for lots of things including cockatiels and hermit crabs.

Maybe its like chocolate for dogs. Not every dog will drop dead everytime they eat it and i know a dog ate every egg put out for an easter egg hunt with no apparent issues but eat enough and they will apparently drop dead.
    Perhaps there is a level of consumption at which it becomes toxic.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I thought it was just the avocado peel and seed that was bad. [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine have cleaned the little bit of meat from the peel for years and done fine. I know there's lots of things folks swear you can't feed your chickens, well mine eat everything I don't and they don't just drop dead. Same for my dog, who picks his own grapes to eat (don't you know grapes will kill your dog lol!).

5. poulette

May 16, 2011
    Hawaii Island
    My Coop
    I don't know but its on the bad list for lots of things including cockatiels and

6. poulette

May 16, 2011
    Hawaii Island
    My Coop
    Now I read that chickens should never eat banana peels, but mine eat them everyday. There's a giant banana patch growing in their run and they also eat the stem of the banana plant which I chop & split for them, they love it! But, naturally, these are unsprayed, organic bananas fertilized with their own manure, so maybe that's the difference

7. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    I allow my chickens free roam of my compost area. It sometimes contains some really odd food, as we eat a very eclectic diet. They have more than once ate things off the "STOP THAT WILL KILL A CHICKEN " list. They still lay daily and they couldn't be healthier.

I guess they are like me. They like to tempt fate with food.

8. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Just don't feed your chickens whole puffer fish!!!

9. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I've heard potato peel is poisonous to chickens too, but I have been feeding it to mine for years with nary a sick chick(en). [​IMG]

10. Tong Gweno

Tong Gweno New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    There seems to be a lot of information about what you shouldn't feed chickens but not about why

Just read this list in an article here:

Avocados
    Banana peels
    Apple seeds
    Potatoes
    Onions
    Asparagus

What's wrong with these things??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by