Why is baby chick so much larger then others?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by connor97, Jan 1, 2013.

1. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my baby chicks (who is about a week old now) has always been almost double the size of the others since it was only 2 days old ! She is a buff orpington, but we have one other buff orpington chick and it is almost half the size as this one. We know for a fact that it is not older than the others, it is just large. Could this mean it is a rooster?

[​IMG]
    The one I'm talking about is the larger yellow one on the far left. In this picture, the yellow ones (buff orpingtons) and the red ones (rhode island reds) are about 3 days old. The brown ones and black one are 7-9 old in this picture, so please don't compare it to the brown ones because they are about a week older than the yellow and red ones. Why is it so much larger? They're suppose to all be female, but since it is so large it makes me think its going to be a rooster. Are some chickens just born larger then others? Thanks !

2. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    a lot of times that does mean it is a roo, or it could of just been a big egg lol

3. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Where did you get your chicks? Our local feed store will sometimes put new chicks in with the chicks from an earlier shipment.

4. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes they were from a feed store, but we were there the day before to get chicks and they only had easter eggers and barred rocks that were already a week old. We came back the next day and they had buff orpingtons and rhode island reds that were only 2 days old, so we know for a fact that the buff orpingtons are the same age

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I don't this being bigger as a chick points to it being a rooster.

I have never noticed this when raising chicks - in fact my biggest rooster was one of the smallest chicks in the brood.

Maybe a different breed of chicken got mixed up with yours? Perhaps it is a meat type one? Or maybe it is a day or 2 older and somehow got mixed in with the other batch.

They all look very cute!

6. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I'll keep my fingers that you just got a mega-layer who starts early.

7. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Sometimes, hatching will take 3-4 days to finish when temperature is not even in incubator. The ones at warmer areas usually hatch first, so this could be the case and they usually put same day on the same batch even they could be 4 days apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by