1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is Buff Orpingtons egg rubbery with no shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicklets81, Mar 28, 2017.

1. chicklets81

chicklets81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2017
    This is 2nd year with my flock. All of my other hens are laying good eggs, except for one of my Buff Orpingtons. She started laying just rubber and splattered on floor under them. Now the egg is rubbery, with no shell, but contained within the rubber.

How do I help this hen lay a regular shelled egg again?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

This is generally an issue with calcium absorption when it's happening in a single bird. Either she isn't getting enough or she isn't absorbing it properly. What do you feed? Be specific.

Try giving her a Tums - yes, like the antiacid. The calcium in these can help hens with this issue.

3. chicklets81

Mar 10, 2017
    The chicken bowl is filled with Poulin Grain brand layer pellets and every other day they get a bowl of table scraps.

4. chicklets81

Mar 10, 2017
    Queen Misha,
    The Buff Orpington wouldn't eat tums pieces out of my hand this morning. Is there a better way to get her to eat it?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by