why is frizzle balding?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by callitchickenlove, Jul 16, 2010.

1. callitchickenlove

callitchickenlove Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    This is not an emergency, but I'm concerned about it, what to do, and if anything can be done...

My poor little frizzle has lost so much of her feathers, she just looks pitiful....
    seems healthy otherwise, but I don't know what's causing this or what to do to make it stop...
    Anyone else had this problem or know anything about it?
    She is 16 months old -- last summer she was just beautiful and full feathered.
    Also, can anyone confirm that this IS, in fact, a hen? She/he? sometimes mounts other girls, and I can't tell, but something comes out, (it looks like?) that is trying to mate? (embarrassed by my ignorance, [​IMG] but I hope someone can help educate me. I'm still new to the chicken raising world...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It looks like it could be mites. Dust the (Roo, I think) with Sevin dust & repeat in 7-10 days.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since he's 16 months old, looks like it's his first hard core molt to me. Feed him probiotics, plain yogurt or buttermilk with chopped boiled egg (extra protein) in his feed to make a mash and give it to him to eat.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    It looks as though there are pin feathers coming back out. I think he/she is just going through a very heavy molt.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm gonna say a hen. To be 16 months, that's a normal sized comb (but who knows, a better angle could help. I would say moulting.

6. callitchickenlove

callitchickenlove Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Thank you all for the help!

I'll start giving her some extra protein as advised for molting --- I think that may be it, also... I need to study that more -- how long do they molt and when do their feathers start growing back?

I'm also going to dust for mites to be sure it's not that.

I think she is a hen? but like I said, she just acts differently than the others, and I've never caught her laying an egg! but I've never her caught her crowing either! oh well [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Feathers growing back...it depends, several months or longer. Much sooner if it's a mini molt, but not in your case. Sorry.

8. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Just a heavy molt. Looks like a roo.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nothing "comes out" when they mate. Roosters do not have a penis. The mating process is somewhat more primitive.

10. grygon

grygon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    Albuquerque
    My frizzle rooster who I've had for several years now and never really had a molt (oh he'd look roughened up every so often but never very moltish really) so far looks very similar to yours and I'm positive it's just a hardcore molt. We've had mites before and they rarely lose the WHOLE feather all the way to the skin with mites, at least mine never have. Plus with mites you'll notice more than one chicken with chewed up feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by