Why is he suddenly being nice to me? Lol lots of pics

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cat1994, Feb 24, 2012.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    So my silly gander, Xander, has always been annoying, charging at me and yelling, just to impress his two girlfriends, Lucy, and Goosey. I would just ignore him unless he actually niped at me, then I would catch him and hold him talking to him like a baby, to humiliate him in front of said girlfriends, (I heard this will make him more respectful towards me) idk if it works or not? But lately something has changed; he is fallowing me more, not yelling but talking to me sweetly, it is really quite cute and I can't help but talk to him back lol. He won’t run away when I come to him, he just comes close and stands by me. I don’t know what’s up with him? Is he sick or something? Lol Or has he finally shaped up and decided to stop being so rude? I don't think it is the latter as he still attacks my dad and everyone else (especially if they come too close to me) lol which is also new, he has never "protected" me before. Does anyone know what is up with his behavior?
    Here are some pics of him hanging out with me, he will even let me pick him up and hold him. He also tries to sit on my lap, he is so sweet all of a sudden, I hope something isn't wrong with him lol
    Here he is attacking my dad when he tried to pet him
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    As you can see he seems to no longer have a problem with me
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    You are his best girl now! He will have to pick someone else to show off his defensive skills on to impress his ladies!

3. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Awwww.....he's beautiful.....err, I mean handsome!! How old is he, maybe he's just not a teenager & has now reached a more mature age? I really don't know anything about geese. Good luck finding an answer!

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO

I know right he is a very handsome boy! he is 3 years old so I think he is out of his teenager years but I could be wrong

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think he's got a crush on you. [​IMG]

6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    He's a lovely bird and in super condition. It sounds like he's finally adjusted and learnt his place with you in charge. His new behaviour is to respect you and may also be that he now sees you as a potential mate! There certainly doesnt seem much wrong with him [​IMG]

7. TeamRetic

TeamRetic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Bay Area, CA
    He is so handsome. It sounds like he really likes you a lot all the sudden.

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice gander. Same thing happened with a White Chinese I had. He would attack my wife, Sandee whenever she was in the chicken yard. Didn't like her flowing housecoat. He was quite nippy. She would grab his neck and scold him, then kiss his knot and let him go. Once he bit her on the breast 2 days before a mammagram. Try explaining that big bruise to your little Jewish doctor with a dry sinse of humor. Finally he shaped up, just like your boy. He became the friendliest goos in the world, always the social butterfly when we had guests. Old folks especially loved him. Some would even sit on the ground and let him climb in their lap. Of course he wanted to climb on their shoulder, but couldn't quite swing that one. If he could control his bowels, we could have taken him to the old folks home, or childrens hospital for visits. Alas, he was taken by a predator and his offspring are lacking his social graces. Many, many stories about that gander. You will have many of your own. Have fun........Pop
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Spansil/2006-05-02001.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by