Why is he twitching?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jay1995, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I got some chicks a few weeks ago. And noticed a few were twitching, just shaking every few seconds. Whats wrong with him?

2. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    how many weeks old r they?
    what is the temp in your brooder?

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I have a buff Orpington roo that twitches his head and he throws that to some of his off spring.

4. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    They are about three weeks. And temp is about 90 F in the brooder

5. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm new at all this, but I'm thinking that 90 degrees at 3 weeks old may be too hot. Forgive me if I'm wrong....

I just found this from this site:

The brooder can be heated by using a light bulb with a reflector, available at any hardware store. A 100-watt bulb is usually fine, though some people use an actual heat lamp. The temperature should be 90-100 degrees for the first week or so, then can be reduced by 5 degrees each week thereafter, until the chicks have their feathers (5-8 weeks old). A thermometer in the brooder is helpful, but you can tell if the temperature is right by how the chicks behave. If they are panting and/or huddling in corners farthest from the light, they are too hot. If they huddle together in a ball under the light, they are too cold. You can adjust the distance of the light (or change the wattage of the bulb) until it's right.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-first60days.html

6. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    for 3 weeks old it is a lil to hot for them. they say to decrease the temp 5 dig every week so 80 is perfect!

7. jay1995

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Alright, I have moved the lamp and it is around 80 F. Thanks. But he is still doing it.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If they have somewhere to get out from under the bulb it isn't a problem. You could lower the temp but so long as they aren't having to cram against the sides of the brooder to get out of the light and heat they are fine. I don't know about the twitching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by