Why is Hen mounting Hens?

banks

Songster
14 Years
May 31, 2008
Ft Worth Tx (Richland Hills)
I have an agressive hen (RIR) that appears to mount 2 out of 3 new hens (Ameracuanas) that I introduced to the flock 6 weeks ago. I have noticed the bare back area on the 2 hens. I do not have any roosters. I have only witnessed it twice. Is my alpha hen just being agressive? How do I stop it. The run is plenty big enough for them all to get along.

I believe that each chicken society forms its own little world and sombody becomes the "alpha" even if she's a SHE. She's just asserting herself. Aside from isolation or shaming of the "bad girl" there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent this behavior.

I've got 3 RIR's and 3 games. One if the Reds is a tough meanie but she is my best layer too! I have put an anti picking bit on her because she was being very mean to the other gals. Now that she's not such a big threat my little world of 6 is experiencing a more peaceful existence - but there still is a definite social order, a boss, and the underlings.

it takes a while, but the damage will repair in weeks to months - depending on how bad the bare spots are. fear not! (I tried shaming my feather picker by putting her inside a dog kennel in full view of the others for a weekend. But I finally had to resort to the "bit" for Kung Pao.

Back
Top Bottom