1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is is a new chick makin other chicks bleed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by faerielady, Nov 8, 2009.

1. faerielady

faerielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Just hatched EE chick is pecking the other two newly hatched EEs and making their feet bleed. What can I do about this??

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Put marbles or shiny rocks around the floor of the brooder and use a red light. I have had problems with toe picking, but never that severe. The marbles give them something else interesting. I think the toes look like worms.

3. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    I have had chick do this a lot - but not to the extent that the feet bleed. They think that it is something that they can eat - like a worm. lol. Some people suggest putting in a red lamp to stop the pecking - but that never made since to me because red id also suppose to provoke pecking for some reason. Do you have chick feed in there with them? Does the chick know where it is?

If those are both yes then I really don't know how to help you.

I hope someone else will reply that can help you better.

4. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    The red lamp is supposed to hide the red from the blood of already pecked animals.

5. faerielady

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I am using a yellow bulb because I can't find red bulbs here [​IMG]

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Red is also less visible light that makes them less active and less able to see movement and objects clearly.

I would think once they start eating chick starter and drinking water they will let off on the pecking. It's very common and usually not a problem. They are just seeing what is and isn't food. Most don't peck to the point of drawing blood though.

7. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    red also makes it dimmer so they can sleep.

I do not know if it is safe to put rooster booster or blue kote on newbie feet, but if it is I would do that... it heals the bo bos and it taste terrible if it gets pecked again.

8. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I had one do that before, I am sure it was a roo "in the making". He seemed to be a little stronger and took advantage so I seperated him to his own spot for the day to let the others have a break. After that, it was much better.

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I use red flood lights they come in 85 watts and work well. I got mine at walmart.

10. faerielady

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I use red flood lights they come in 85 watts and work well. I got mine at walmart.

Ok I'll check walmart. I didn't know we could use flood lights... didn't know if they put off the same kind of heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by