Why is it almost impossible to peel farm fresh boiled eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ScrambledAcresFarm, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    I try and I try but I can't get them to peel like store bought eggs! Is there a trick?[​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

From what I understand is you need to lit the age awhile before trying to boil them, because fresh eggs swell to much.

3. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Its because they are tooo fresh, if you let them stay in frig for a couple weeks(like store bought eggs) before attempting to cook them you will have better luck. You can also try adding lots of salt, or vinagar to your water it tends to make them peel easier. If you search hard boiled eggs, you will probably come across lots of sudgestions, some better than others. [​IMG]

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Actually, it's baking soda you should add when boiling.
    There is a Tim Ferris youtube video showing how well it works
    The baking soda reduces the bond between the egg and shell
    you can literally peel a little on each end and blow the hard boiled egg out of the shell.

Just add 1 tsp to the water in your next batch of boiled eggs.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Take a pin and poke a hole in the shell on the fat end into the air sac before boiling. It will peel fine

6. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    According to the American Egg Board http://incredibleegg.org/index_v2.php?mcID=1&cID=13&rID=133&offset=0

Hard
    Cooked Eggs

Lots of people like to color hard-cooked eggs for Easter. They're also good to eat any time of the year. You can eat them right after they're cooked with just a little salt or an herb or spice. Or, you can make them into an egg salad sandwich or deviled eggs. This recipe will help you make hard-cooked eggs that are tender (instead of rubbery) without a green ring around the yolk. Make hard-cooked eggs with an adult.

Hard-Cooked Eggs as many as you want or can fit in the bottom of a pan or pot.

things you'll need

eggs

getting started

Put the eggs in one layer on the bottom of the pan. Put the pan in the sink. Run water into the pan until the water is 1 inch over the eggs. Put the pan on a burner. Turn it to medium-high heat.
    Let the water come to a boil. Put the lid on the pan when the water is boiling. Move the pan onto a cold burner. Set the timer for 15 minutes for Large-sized eggs (or for 12 minutes for Medium-sized eggs or for 18 minutes for Extra Large-sized eggs).
    Put the pan in the sink when the time is over. Run cold water into the pan until the eggs are cool. Put the eggs into the refrigerator if you're going to use them later or peel them if you're going to use them right away. Be sure to use all the cooked eggs up before a week is over.
    Gently tap a cooled egg on the countertop or table until it has cracks in it. Roll the egg between your hands until the cracks turn into small crackles all over the egg.
    Use your fingers to start peeling off the shell at the large end of the egg. If you need to, you can hold the egg under running cold water or dip it in a bowl of water to make peeling easier. Throw out the pieces of eggshell when the egg is all peeled. You can eat the egg or use it in a recipe when it's peeled.

7. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

If you do a search on here... there is a FOOL PROOF METHOD for cooking FRESHLY LAID EGGS [​IMG] Works EVERY TIME! I've tried every other method mentioned here and then some not mentioned.. and none have ever worked. This one has worked every single time, including with eggs laid in the morning.

Let the water come to a full rolling boil FIRST - do not put eggs in yet.

GENTLY set eggs into full boiling water..

Boil for 18 minutes - no more .. no less.

2 minutes before they are done - fill a bowl/pan up with cold water and set ice cubes into it.

Take eggs out of boiling water with a spoon and set into COLD WATER BATH for about 30 seconds.

Crack and peel

You will get SPOTLESS hardboiled eggs EVERY SINGLE TIME!

[​IMG]

8. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Ditto what Hennysmom said!!! I use eggs fresh from the coop and this method works everytime![​IMG]

9. ScrambledAcresFarm

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    Quote:That sounds awesome and like it'll work! I'll try it!

10. ScrambledAcresFarm

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! When the 12 eggs I boiled last night are gone, then I'll try the "ice bath" method![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by