1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is it better wet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sjisty, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    When I fill the feed troughs with dry starter, grower, or layer crumbles, I get looks that say, "really, Mom, is that what you're feeding us?" The minute I take the same food and add water, cold or warm, and make a mush, then it's, "Wow, yippee, we got the good stuff - me first, no me first"! They eat it like there's no tomorrow and egg production goes way up.

Chickens have pea brains!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Interesting.... do u ferment your feeds?

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    No, I just have lately been mixing crumbles with warm water and they eat it like it's chocolate pie! Often I mix treats in, so maybe they think it's got goodies hidden inside.

4. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I read on here about mixing water with crumbles and after doing that the birds ate like they've never been fed before. After they eat most of the crumbles and there's only dust left I put water in it and mix it up so it looks like oatmeal and give it back to the birds, they know it's coming and almost beat the door down waiting for it.when they're done there's nothing left in the feeder.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I assume its better for the chickens as they get much more water in their system, just like my dogs, after dealing with urinary tract and kidney issues I started adding water to their food, happy to say after a year neither have any more problems and Thank God too, because the prescription dog food was like 80 bucks a bag!! First I tried making homemade food, but as we have 5 english springers, and it was such a pain and filled my freezer!! so I gave up on that and tried the simple water thing!! I am surprised that the bags of dog food dont recommend this in the first place!!

I was actually thinking of adding some crumbles to the oatmeal I snack them with, to make it go further as they are pigs and dont let some of the other girls eat! stinkers!!

I was checking out the fermenting threads, very interesting, but alot to think about, too much for me at the moment. But I have heard it really cuts down of feed bill and chicken stench esp in chicks, which sure would help with the brooder smells!

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Stray thought about moistened feed. Wet food goes better for us, chewing and swallowing than dry food, crackers and such vs. bread and cakes. So I would think wet feed would go better for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by