1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is it my BLUE Egg Layer Molting Before Holiday Season?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Why is it that -- of all my 15 hens (only two of which are blue egg layers) -- is it one of my two blue egg layers who has started molting?

I have plans to give multi-colored egg collections in really beautiful cartons I bought for Christmas gifts. I arrange the eggs by color -- four dark brown eggs, four blue eggs, and then four pinkish-brown eggs. Oh, how beautiful they are when arranged this way in those special, really nice cartons I purchased!

I only have two blue egg layers, and they only lay on the average of two to three eggs each per week. Now, one little blue egged lady is out of commission. Assuming that the other blue egged lady doesn't join her, that still won't give me many blue eggs for Christmas cartons.

How long can I store the blue eggs I have right now in the fridge, and they still be in good enough shape to give away as Christmas gifts?

Is there anything I can do to help this little lady get through the molt quicker, and get back into production before Christmas?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I can't tell you how to make her start laying faster, but I can tell you that you can store eggs for weeks in the fridge, just make sure you don't wash them until right before you gift them, and store them pointy end down. [​IMG]

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

From http://eggs.ab.ca/about-eggs/faq

Can
    eggs be eaten after the best before date?

The Best Before date is not an expiry date. If they have been kept refrigerated, eggs can be eaten for a short time after the Best Before date. However, keep in mind that the Best Before date (28 to 42 days from the packaging date) indicates the length of time the eggs will maintain their Grade A quality. After the Best Before date, eggs should be cooked thoroughly (for example, used for baking or hard cooking).

So, I translate to mean that you can keep them for a month to a month and a half and still have Grade A, safe for any purpose not just baking, eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by