1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is it so difficult waiting to find out the gender of chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, May 13, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I bought two chicks straight run. A standard size Cochin frizzle and a mille fleur d'uccle. My Mille fleur is 2 weeks old today, so it will be a week or two before I know if it's a pullet. Right now the comb has not grown a bit. The Cochin also has a tiny comb, but is feathering out so slowly. It's driving me nuts not knowing. My RIR comb turned red at 5 weeks, but still no crowing at 8 weeks.lol

Anyone else driving themselves crazy with this gender obsession? I want to keep every chick I have, but Hubby said absolutely no roosters. Plus, the neighbors would be very upset if I had one too.

2. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    It is difficult to wait to tell what gender. I have 4 Black copper maran chicks that are 7-8 wks old. When I posted last week to inquire what gender it was split 50/50 hen/roo..I guess, unless you get the sex linked chicks, it takes a lot of time and you know what they say, patience is a virtue...I want it now!!!! I hope you have pullets so your hubby doesn't make you get rid of him. I hope the same for mine. Have a blessed weekend

3. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    I know what you mean. I have 3 Polish that were a straight run. I don't want to get attached if I have to rehome. They don't even have names yet! And it's affecting the way I look at the others. I'm now wondering if the Frizzle is male/female. I thought it was a pullet, but I'm second guessing myself! Was there really a sign or did I make it up? And then one of the EE's combs turned red overnight two days ago! I stopped breathing - oh yea. It took me a moment to realize it can be red. It doesn't mean it's a roo. Actually, my first thought was it was a bloody wound. My breathing stopped twice on that one.

4. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Exactly! [​IMG]

Thank you. I hope you have pullets too.[​IMG]

5. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    the waiting sucks!!! i have a little man that all said was a girl til a few days ago when HIS comb turned bright red. i am so sad to give him up. every time he sees me he flies up to me and hangs out. coolest chick ever

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:My EE comb is red too! She is only 8 weeks! Luckily, the comb is very small, so I'm pretty sure she's a girl. It's too late. I'm already attached to all my chicks. I spend a lot of time holding them.

7. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 8 8-week-old straight run BAs. Two seem pretty certainly roos, and 3 more are ambiguous, and 3 more are definitely hens.
    I am also driving myself mad with the "not knowing".
    I find myself staring at them...a lot...
    Happy waiting, friends!

8. AUChick9202

AUChick9202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    I have a BA that has been looking very "roo-ish" since he was 3 weeks old. I am also obsessed with knowing for sure! Glad to know I am in good company in my obsessive behavior [​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm glad I'm not alone. [​IMG]

10. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm right there with all of you. It's hard trying not to get too attached to them all, especially knowing that the roos will have to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by