Why is it that I am pretty good at sexing....

joyous

Songster
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Davenport, Iowa
I love guessing the sexes on this forum, and then checking the experts opinion, and I am usually right, but when it comes to my own chicks , I fail miserably????

At least you can figure out the sex of SOMEone's chicks! I have only mastered the art of being able to tell a roo from a hen as long as it is over 5 or 6 months old!
lol.png

I would assume because you're guessing? And by luck you're right? So if you're trying too hard on your own, perhaps guess?
lol.png
That would be my advise. . .
idunno.gif

Hey, the way I see it - If you call it a girl through its chickhood, it's probably gonna be a boy.
gig.gif
Just call em ALL boys, that way you won't have anything to lose in the end.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe because you're guessing on the forum chickens from pictures, and looking at live birds when you try to guess your own?
So, take some pictures of your birds and try to guess the sex from the pictures instead of looking at the birds.
lol.png

Yep! I also took pictures and compared them to pictures of chicks the same age....I just seem to have the luck of having mostly boys!

I'm trying to get better at sexing everyone else's myself so I have better luck with my own when they get big enough. Sad thing is, I'm chomping at the bit to figure mine out, and they are only 2 weeks old! Haha! I keep looking at the ones with the slightly (like as in mm) bigger combs and worrying that my favorite chicks will be roos.
roll.png

I will be posting probably 30 chicks on here in several more weeks. So you can guess all you want on mine!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom