Why is it that under your main headline of BREEDS you do not have Pekin Bantams listed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScottyChic, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ScottyChic

ScottyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

HI - Can someone tell me why it is that under the main headline of BREEDS I cannot see the breed PEKIN BANTAMS?
    Surely you have them in the USA/CANADA etc?
    You mention some types of Bantams, just not Pekins.
    Do you have another name for them?
    I would be very interested to hear what you have to say on the matter.
    Thank you.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. ScottyChic

Hi - Thank you for that..

The Pekin is a True bantam, a breed of miniature chicken which has no large fowl counterpart. They are rather round-shaped, and their carriage tilts forward, with the head slightly closer to the ground than their elaborate tail feathers. This 'tilt' is a key characteristic of the Pekin. The bird on the whole, though the tail especially, should be abundantly feathered, and well rounded. The cockerels often have longer feathers that protrude outwards from their feet. The range of Pekin colours is extensive, and the list is continually growing. Rarer colours are in great demand, and many breeders spend much time perfecting new lines of colours in their birds. Frizzled Pekins are common. Pekin Bantams are very docile, and with careful and regular handling they make ideal pets, especially for families with younger children. However, the Pekin bantam cocks can still be aggressive and defensive of their territory and mates once they reach sexual maturity, but are generally gentle natured. The hens are regularly broody and are known to be good sitters and attentive mothers. They are not very productive egg layers. Care must be taken so that the Pekin's foot feathering does not get soiled. Vent feathers may have to be trimmed in order to maximise fertility when breeding.
    They are my favourite I have to admit.

4. ScottyChic

Hi again

I have just been looking up 'Bantam Cochin' - ~~The Cochin today is a very large, fluffy feathered bird with fully feathered legs and feet ( I saw a photo too and they are similar).
    So whilst they are alike, the Cochin is much bigger.
    In the USA, do you have a 'small Cochin' or do you only know them as being large?

5. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    the small / Bantam Cochins are really popular as pets, frizzled feathered also, the APA's SOP lists the weights as 32 oz and 28 oz for the bantam version compared to that of the standards as 11 & 8.5 lbs cock/hen ... There are some bantam cochin threads if you want to do a search on the breed genetics & showing forum
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/200230/bantam-cochin-breeders/10

6. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Oops, putting that into kilograms, that is .9 and .8 for bantams vs 5 and 3.8 kgs for the standards... so the bantams are under a kg and the standards should be 4-5 kgs

7. ScottyChic

Hi - I shall take a look at that later.

You must be 'old school' like me - I like to work in the lbs and ounces as well.

You may also like to tell me what an Easter Egger is? I have never heard of such a thing.
    Is this a slang term for some breed or ????????

Never heard of this in Scotland but have seen headings on this website.

8. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Easter Egger is a name over here for a popular mixed breed chicken (usually with Ameraucana or Araucana in the ancestry) that hopefully lays blue/green eggs, though they can lay any color. They are often sold incorrectly by hatcheries as Ameraucana or Araucana.

9. ScottyChic

I have actually been onto the Easter Egger site and have been scolded by one user as she picked up on a comment I made to a Christian member. She should have by passed my short (nice) comment but she chose to pull me up about it. And went on and on........
    I guess I will learn - I mean I have only been on this site for less than a day......

10. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Hi [​IMG]

I'm in the UK & have only a Pekin bantam & EE's as backgarden birds.

I can certainly recommend both breeds, the pretty Pekin is small, maternal, fat & docile while the EE's are a right variety of colors & personalities!

Also the EE cockerel (well, now a rooster, he's a year old) is smart, we've trained him to down the crowing & he comes to the backdoor to be let in at night after he's supervised me putting "his" hens away. Very placid bird, sleeps in the dog bed with the dogs all night unless we want a lie in & then we put him under the stairs (otherwise he crows outside the bedroom door to get us up) .

Great birds with great variety.

I'd have dozens of the things if I didn't want to upset my landlord. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by