Why is my baby silkie but naked?(W/pic)

SantaPaula805

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Santa Paula, Ca
I got him/her yesterday as a couple days old and for some reason it happened to not have any feathers (or fur?) on the but area is this normal? will it eventually grow feathers. I am new to the Silkie breed. i got two and the other one is a few days older and has feathers on the but area. so i thought id figure out what is going on. here is a picture(sorry its a little blury)

Where did you get him from? you might ask the breeder if they did it. It is not normal for a cick to have no fluffy butt, however, some people that hatch out chicks do not take the time to check all the chicks for pasty butt and will either clip their butt fluff to avoid crusties from forming and blocking their defication, or will end up pulling the feathers/fluff out when trying to remove the pasty butt. So it in itself may not be something to worry about, but I'd keep an eye on him/her since it could be a sign your chick had pastey butt and may be prone to it.

I got it from a local breeder that was recommended to me by the local feed store. And yes he does hatch eggs himself but this one happened to be hatched by one of his silkies and the other one I got was a hatched chick. So what is this pasty but. I've never heard of that?

If you read over my comment, I never said it was pasty butt. Pasty butt does not cause feathers on a chick bottom to fall out or not grow. However, someone pulling them out or trimming them to prevent pasty butt from forming is more likely than some genetic freak with no feathers on its rump (altho some chicks seem to have fluffier butts than others), and I've never heard of any type of chicken mange that causes chicks to lose feathers on their bum. But I am still young yet
wink.png

If they have indeed been removed for pasty butt prevention, the adult feathers should come in normally. But until then, it will be "butt naked"

He should be fine as long as your other chicks don't pick at his rear. Silkie chicks are soooo cute. I really didn't like the breed until I hatched some out for a friend, and now they have grown on me
love.gif
Got any pics of his other end?

Back
Top Bottom