1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is my barred rock laying white yolked eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AboutSixPounds, May 3, 2009.

1. AboutSixPounds

AboutSixPounds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    Northern Piedmont, NC
    My barred rock pullet recently started laying eggs with pure white yolks. She laid her first egg on March 3, and has been a hardcore layer ever since, barely missing a day. In fact, she laid every single day from April 4 through April 25, laying every 23-24 hours. Her yolks were a rich yellow/orange up until the last few in that run, when they became paler and paler. Now her yolks are pure white. Is this normal? And will they go back to yellow?

I have two other pullets, both Easter eggers, and their yolks are still a lovely deep yellow. So whatever this is it's only happening with the barred rock. They eat Layena pellets, scratch grains w/corn, veggie scraps, and free range on 1/4 acre of our yard/garden for several hours each day.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

edited to add: Her legs have also gone from bright yellow to pale yellow, as if she's used up all her yellow pigment or something.

Last edited: May 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by