1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is my chickens butt so gross

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by birdface, Feb 7, 2012.

1. birdface

birdface Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    Not sure if this goes here but.... I have a chicken that cant seem to keep her butt clean. She always has poo pasted to it, and its not just a little. It almost seems like it is just leaking out. I have cleaned her in a hot bath and that lasted for a couple of days and now its back. Shes pretty gross. Other than that she is fine.

2. hotmommachick

hotmommachick New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Florida
    Oh my gosh, I have been wondering the same thing...she is super healthy, but no matter how often I clean those feathers, she is messy back there.

3. birdface

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    Yeah its gross. If she would hold still i would just blast her with the hose. I had to dust her with DE the other day and when i held her up side down she started flapping like crazy and flung poop all over me....i almost barfed

4. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    I had a hen with the same issue a while back...totally healthy but messy. I just trimmed the feathers and fluff on her rear end, gave her a bikini trim if you will. She's been clean ever since.

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    that kinda sounds like another thread I was reading about something called vent gleet...try some ACV in the water? if it is vent gleet (I read that it is like a yeast infection), upping the acidity of her GI system may help?

6. birdface

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    What is acv? do i just got to the store and ask for it that way?

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    apple cider vinegar. Look for the kind "with mother". The filtered purified stuff doesn't have all the benificial things in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bragg-Apple-V...ef=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1328669115&sr=8-1

Here is a link to a gallon of it on amazon...of course, you dont have to get that much...do a search for dosage here on BYC...I know there are a ton of threads mentioning it...maybe it will help your girl out.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by