Why is my chickens doing this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Prisserbabe, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    My chicken is making this really loud BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! sound and I was wondering what it might mean. She is 18 weeks.

And... My other chicken was in the coop (it sounded like it) and it sounded like the first part in an egg song. you know the: bak bak bak bak bak bak bak bak bak. but it didnt end in the BAGEEK! like a egg song usually goes. could this be her just preparing for a egg or what.

None of my chickens lay eggs and when i looked in my coop once my chicken got out there was no egg.

2. citybiddies

citybiddies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    Ours did this too. They got a lot louder at around 18 weeks and stayed that way until they started laying around 21-24 weeks. Sounds like they're gearing up to give you some eggs. [​IMG]

3. Prisserbabe

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    HURRAY!!! thats what im hoping for! [​IMG]

4. Jace

Jace Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Quote:x2

Mine (BSLs) got louder about 18 weeks, squatted at 19, and laid a few days ago at 21.

5. Prisserbabe

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] Yay! Im excited practically checking the nesting boxes everyday! [​IMG]

soooo does it sound like the noise i am talking about though? Like s BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWK! kinda a low rumbling kinda sound

6. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Mine do that alot...and they've been laying awhile! Don't know why...just chicken-speak I guess! [​IMG]

7. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I know who is going to lay each day when they make that sound!

8. Jace

Jace Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Quote:Yes, I think so - my girls started to do that BRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWKK - kinda like in a Kathryn Hepburn chicken voice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by