Why is my chickens egg 2 different colors?

Chickensss_25

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
Hello! I wanted to start out by saying that i have a total of 8 laying hens, 2 roosters (i also have 2 polish crested chickens that are around 8 months old i think but they haven’t started laying so i dont know if they are both hens or both roosters so im not including them) and 1 duck. To make this less confusing, I will be naming every hen and the color of their egg. So bare with me please.

Penny: lays a blue egg.
Cenizita: lays a greenish olive egg.
Stormi: lays smaller green olive eggs and a bit darker.
Daisy: lays a pink egg
Coloradita: lays bright brown even redish looking eggs (she hasn’t been laying because shes molting)
3 silkie hens: they all lay small pinkish whiteish eggs.
Dumpling (the duck): lays pretty big whiteish pinkish eggs

here is the thing. I have 2 more hens (Wendy and Chispitas) I started getting a new egg recently which has a dark greenish olive color. I thought it was Wendy who started laying for the first time ever but then today i got an egg thats 2 colors! The top half is lighter than the bottom half. I dont know if that means that chispitas started laying. But what i am now assuming is that this whole time it was Chispitas laying the dark green egg and that Wendy JUST started laying today since she’s bigger in size than Chispitas and the egg from today is bigger then the dark green one. I will include some pictures of all the eggs in the order that i named them. The 2 bottom eggs are the new eggs I started getting. Also, what does the 2 colors mean? Why is one top half of the egg lighter than the bottom. Here is the Pictures

This is the order of the eggs in the picture:
1. Penny
2. Cenizita
3. Stormi
4. Daisy
5. Silkie
6.Silkie
7. Silkie
8. Dumpling (duck)

9. Unknown?? Is it Chispitas (Chispitas is a golden laced cochin)

10. unknown?? Is it Wendy? (Wendy is supposed to be a buff orpington but its been said by various people that shes most likely mixed because she doesn’t fully look like a buff orpington)

Attachments

• 5551411C-8FB9-43AF-A8FC-163766152F4B.png
    5551411C-8FB9-43AF-A8FC-163766152F4B.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 55859655-13EA-4512-892D-266FF5A8AD58.jpeg
    55859655-13EA-4512-892D-266FF5A8AD58.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 68813836-F77E-499B-87EA-8335E86EFEFB.png
    68813836-F77E-499B-87EA-8335E86EFEFB.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 28
Hello! I wanted to start out by saying that i have a total of 8 laying hens, 2 roosters (i also have 2 polish crested chickens that are around 8 months old i think but they haven’t started laying so i dont know if they are both hens or both roosters so im not including them) and 1 duck. To make this less confusing, I will be naming every hen and the color of their egg. So bare with me please.

Penny: lays a blue egg.
Cenizita: lays a greenish olive egg.
Stormi: lays smaller green olive eggs and a bit darker.
Daisy: lays a pink egg
Coloradita: lays bright brown even redish looking eggs (she hasn’t been laying because shes molting)
3 silkie hens: they all lay small pinkish whiteish eggs.
Dumpling (the duck): lays pretty big whiteish pinkish eggs

here is the thing. I have 2 more hens (Wendy and Chispitas) I started getting a new egg recently which has a dark greenish olive color. I thought it was Wendy who started laying for the first time ever but then today i got an egg thats 2 colors! The top half is lighter than the bottom half. I dont know if that means that chispitas started laying. But what i am now assuming is that this whole time it was Chispitas laying the dark green egg and that Wendy JUST started laying today since she’s bigger in size than Chispitas and the egg from today is bigger then the dark green one. I will include some pictures of all the eggs in the order that i named them. The 2 bottom eggs are the new eggs I started getting. Also, what does the 2 colors mean? Why is one top half of the egg lighter than the bottom. Here is the Pictures

This is the order of the eggs in the picture:
1. Penny
2. Cenizita
3. Stormi
4. Daisy
5. Silkie
6.Silkie
7. Silkie
8. Dumpling (duck)

9. Unknown?? Is it Chispitas (Chispitas is a golden laced cochin)

10. unknown?? Is it Wendy? (Wendy is supposed to be a buff orpington but its been said by various people that shes most likely mixed because she doesn’t fully look like a buff orpington)
Nice looking rooster!

Thank you! I think he’s pretty handsome haha
Your welcome, I've had some pretty nice boys, never any of them were aggressive either!

My two favorites were Mary and Blossom, Welsummer, and Easter Egger brothers. 🤗
(Mary, Welsummer, left) (Blossom, EE), right) (Both deceased)
IMG_2257.jpg

This is Robin, a EE cuckoo Marans mix, (deceased)
IMG_2973.jpg

Ezzy, or just simply Ezra. (On the right) (Blossom's son, EE x Red sex link cross.) (Alive)
IMG_0905.jpg

Chrom, a rescued barnyard mix. (Alive)
IMG_7439.jpg

IMG_7438.jpg

Sorry about all the photos, I just love to share my boys! 😅

I'll see if I can help get your main question answered.

Your welcome, I've had some pretty nice boys, never any of them were aggressive either!

My two favorites were Mary and Blossom, Welsummer, and Easter Egger brothers. 🤗
(Mary, Welsummer, left) (Blossom, EE), right) (Both deceased)
View attachment 2898774
This is Robin, a EE cuckoo Marans mix, (deceased)
View attachment 2898775
Ezzy, or just simply Ezra. (On the right) (Blossom's son, EE x Red sex link cross.) (Alive)
View attachment 2898785
Chrom, a rescued barnyard mix. (Alive)
View attachment 2898781
View attachment 2898782
Sorry about all the photos, I just love to share my boys! 😅

I'll see if I can help get your main question answered.
Aww they are all so beautiful!! I love talking about my chickens and showing people pictures of them as well haha! Your roosters are so pretty. Im so sorry for your loss. I really like your chicken with the black and white spots. And by the way, I lost a rooster too not long ago. When my pack was younger (around 5 months, they are now a year old) a German shepherd jumped my fence and out of all the chickens, he picked up my rooster and ate it🙁 i was really sad. I still miss my Cheetah (that was his name) to this day. The black and gold rooster is my dads but he gave it to me. My siblings and i have our own chickens so out of all the pack (all 15 birds) i own most of them haha. The only 2 roosters are mine. One of them is a silkie. Although the black and gold rooster is quite aggressive towards some people only. I swear he hates my dad and grandpa😂 also strangers. Hes a great protector tho. I think im the only one he loves. I can bother him all day long and he still wont dare chase me or peck me haha. For other people in my house… the same cant be said 😂. Let me know if you want to see more pictures of all my chickens and talk more about each others pets!

Aww they are all so beautiful!! I love talking about my chickens and showing people pictures of them as well haha! Your roosters are so pretty. Im so sorry for your loss. I really like your chicken with the black and white spots. And by the way, I lost a rooster too not long ago. When my pack was younger (around 5 months, they are now a year old) a German shepherd jumped my fence and out of all the chickens, he picked up my rooster and ate it🙁 i was really sad. I still miss my Cheetah (that was his name) to this day. The black and gold rooster is my dads but he gave it to me. My siblings and i have our own chickens so out of all the pack (all 15 birds) i own most of them haha. The only 2 roosters are mine. One of them is a silkie. Although the black and gold rooster is quite aggressive towards some people only. I swear he hates my dad and grandpa😂 also strangers. Hes a great protector tho. I think im the only one he loves. I can bother him all day long and he still wont dare chase me or peck me haha. For other people in my house… the same cant be said 😂. Let me know if you want to see more pictures of all my chickens and talk more about each others pets!
Thank you, me too! :hugs
I do miss Mary the most, it's been very hard without him since I don't handle losses very well. 😔

Thank you, the black and white one with Ezzy is Grannie, she's a 10+ year old silver laced wyandotte.

I'm so sorry about that, dogs can be a pain. :hugs I totally understand what your going through, but always remember, they are in a better place and they know you always loved them. What did Cheeta look like, I like his name! :)

The pictures above are all the boys I owned, my sister has her own and my brother has his own roo. My sister and I co-own the flock of 50+ and I'd like to eventually re-home some.
We had a rooster that hated everybody, he belonged to my cousin and he was very aggressive, something eventually ate him in the night. 😬

Mary and blossom would fight over me sometimes, they loved me as much as I loved them. Mary would lie on my lap and listen to a book and blossom would love to come out and flirt with me and his reflection. 🤣

I'd love to talk about each others pets, I'd like that very much! 😁 I'm always open pretty much.
Love the pun haha
Thank you! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom