Why is my cocci vaccinated hatchery chick pooping blood?? (poop pic)

PrancingGoat

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
Massachusetts
PLease help! :c...

Our chicks are 3 weeks old and I woke up this morning to see bloody poop on top of the ecoglow brooder (their favorite place to roost). There are also red stained pine chips among their bedding. Then 4 hours later, I saw one actually poop just pure blood. I am so confused because I:

1) change their bedding every other day
2) keep the brooder in a well ventilated room of our house
3) have never taken them outdoors since we got them in the mail from Murray McMurray
4) have given them TONS of room to fly and run about (9 bantam chicks in a 6ft long by 4ft wide grow out pen built by DH)
5) practice biosecurity and always wash my hands before touching them (which is not often for fear of this kind of thing).
6) MOST IMPORTANTLY: We paid to have them vaccinated at the hatchery for both cocci and Mareks
(I understand if you feed medicated feed to chicks that are vaccinated, that it nulify's the vaccine so we feed non-medicated chick grower).

I am totally at a loss as to how this happens!? Is it possible this isn't even cocci? Is it possible they weren't really vaccinated (horrible experience with this hatchery so far with 5 out of 15 doa/dying first day then 1 not growing and dying at 10days old)?

They all are running around and eating and drinking constantly. The only food other than the medicated feed is a baby cake for about 2hours a day and a little chick grit for the same time.
We have 8 healthy chickens out in the garden with no symptoms of any disease that we have raised since getting them as chicks last spring from a local feed store (they were also vaccinated).

These little chicks are like family so thank you very much for any help! <3

Here is the poop picture from this morning:
Yvya3iN.jpg

tjwpiD8.jpg

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

I'm not sure that is blood.

In any case, vaccinating for coccidiosis infects them with it, so I assume sometimes some end up having an actual case, though I would have expected to see it earlier not now. In any case, like a flu vaccine, it doesn't provide 100% coverage against all strains, from what I understand. That particular vaccine may not even match up to what is in your soil.

Whatever the theory is behind the why and how I would give them Corid promptly. Unless you are feeding red berries, this looks like blood and they need help quickly. So you'll loose the vaccine effect, but it doesn't look like it protected them from the type of cocci you need them protected for anyway.
I would not waist any time.

Thank you for the link! I was hoping it was intestinal shedding. Then I saw one of them just poop nothing but blood and felt that confirms it is cocci.

Is it ok to treat them with Corid even if they have been vaccinated?

I guess this stuff really travels well if it got to our chicks from outside. Should I treat my 1yr old flock outside even though they show no symptoms? I also have 5 eggs under a broody hen set to hatch in 3 days so I am really nervous about what to do with them. I was going to let the hen raise them naturally but now I am wondering if they will just all get sick?

Whatever the theory is behind the why and how I would give them Corid promptly. Unless you are feeding red berries, this looks like blood and they need help quickly. So you'll loose the vaccine effect, but it doesn't look like it protected them from the type of cocci you need them protected for anyway.
I would not waist any time.

Husband is on his way home as I type this with Corid! Thank you for the advice. That is what I was thinking, that even if they do lose the vaccine effect, it is worth it not to risk them dying today.

As far as I understand the Corid will be fine to use. I would not treat the flock outside if they have no symptoms- if the cocci is from their area they have likely aquired immunity by now. Don't worry about the eggs either. They may be just fine if they can be exposed gradually. Keep their area clean but don't overdo it. You want some exposure to the cocci, just not so much it overwhelms them. Just keep an eye on everyone and if you see trouble, you'll already have corid in the house. If you are very worried, give them medicated feed.
Cocci are in any environment suitable for a chicken to live in, they just need to build up immunity. Don't clean too much! Deep litter is good for the run, because it allows organisms to grow that keep the cocci in check.
If you don't already have it, order some vitamin electrolyte mix and some nutri drench for poultry. Both are good to have on hand for emergencies. Give some to the chicks *after*(!) their course of corid (the Corid works by making vit b unavailable to the cocci who can't survive without it - so you don't want to give extra b vitamins until after you are done with the meds).
Good luck!

@Stephine Thank you sooo much for this advice! I have spent the entire day so stressed out from this! I am glad the outdoor flock will be ok and hopefully the eggs. I didn't realize that cocci is already in the environment. I used the deep litter method over the winter but then did a deep clean last month and threw it all out. I didn't realize how useful it really is!
We already have Poultry Nutri Drench because back when the chicks first arrived someone recommended it since so many were so weak/dying. I am looking now into ordering some vitamin electrolyte mix (Durvet brand ok?). So cool to learn the biology behind the Corid!
As for the baby chicks: they all are drinking their Corid water. I will be patiently (who am I kidding- I will be terrified) awaiting their fate. I can't thank you enough tho for the advice! You gave me the kick to act asap.

You're very welcome! Make sure you use the dosage for a severe outbreak (just search for corid dosage here on BYC, there is a great dosage write up from someone).

You're very welcome! Make sure you use the dosage for a severe outbreak (just search for corid dosage here on BYC, there is a great dosage write up from someone).

It has now been 40 hours since I gave them Corid (severe outbreak dosage) in their water. I mix it fresh every morning. There were no other symptoms of cocci other than bloody poop when I treated them... they all were running around and eating and drinking. After 24 hours, the bloody poop stopped. I think everyone is going to make it except for my FAVORITE (not ever choosing a favorite again after this). She was the first one to show bloody poop and has been going downhill ever since. She drank and ate fine when I treated them all, but now shows all the other classic symptoms of hunching with ruffled feathers and eyes half closed:

UC8r07k.jpg

Is there anything else I can do for her?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom