Why is my duck balding?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZoeS95423, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay, So I have posted about this duck before, she is a black female cayuga about a year old. People said maybe she has mights, but I just checked her today, and nope, no mites, BUT, she has large amount of feather loss. Under her wings she is almost completely bald.... also where her wings bend (elbow?) she is starting to lose feathers. Her wings constantly twitch. And she absorbs water like a sponge... she also doesnt preen herself after bathing, she just flaps her wings, and walks away. Has anybody ever had this problem before?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The twitching wings seem pretty typical for a duck that is preening itself.

Could she be molting? What type of feed is she getting? Is there a drake in the pen with her?

3. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    There are 2 drakes, but also 8 females. And they dont really do much breeding or anything. She twitches her wings ALL the time though. All of my other ducks have molted, and they were not this bald at all. When I caught her to look at her, all there was, was legit just skin.

4. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    O and I forgot to put in I feed them Agway brand flock raiser, and mixed with layermash, and scratch (thats what I feed the chickens) but she has been like this since I got her, about a month ago.

5. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    No one else knows?

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Are you 100% sure it's not mites? They are pretty hard to see...and the twitching could be from being itchy...I,myself would dust her to be sure anyway. How does her oil gland look? Possibly infected or blocked? I don't know just trying to help you brainstorm ...can you post a pic or two?

7. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    I tried very hard to look for them, very very hard, and she didnt struggle much once I got a hold of her! haha. I dont have a camera at this point.. I can try with my cell phone but it will be not a very good picture. What Kind of dust do I use? And where can I buy it?

8. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Look for permethrin or 7 dust.It should tell you how much to use on poultry...you should be able to find it at a local TSC or feed store...
    I would still take a good look at that oil gland too....it seems strange a healthy duck not preening? How is her appetite? Are her eyes clear? Breathing normal? Look for ANY inconsistency you can find in her behavior before and after she started to lose feathers...food change? environment change?

9. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Well, I got her from one of my dads friends about a month ago, but even there, she wasnt looking very healthy. But all of his other ducks and chickens did. She eats just like all the other ducks, including treats (such as peas, carrots, boiled potatoes etc.) I never had her before she started losing feathers, she has always looked like this. But I thought it was from having 3 male ducks and her, just one female. And that they would grow back... but they havent they've been getting worse. Is there a picture or something you can post to show me where the oil glad is?

10. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    The oil gland is located at the base of her back...like the top of the tail...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by