Why is my duck limping?

Megan Amber

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
So I get back from a small vacation and one of my drakes is hoping around on one foot. He still can move it as when I pick him up he paddles it but he won't step on it. There doesn't seem to be anything stuck in his foot and there are no cuts but his foot does seem "folded". Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank You To All.

Well his middle toe is a bit swollen but he let's me touch it. He does not like me touching the joint where his leg connects to his body.

Well his middle toe is a bit swollen but he let's me touch it. He does not like me touching the joint where his leg connects to his body.
I really don't think you should wrap since it seems to be low and upper that's causing pain, have you tried soaking his leg in warm Epsom salt water? the way I do it is take a gallon bucket fill with warm water put 2 cups of Epsom salts in and mix good to dissolve then I hole my drake and put both legs into the bucket, all the while holding on to him I let him dangle in the water for about 15 min, You can do this once a day or 2x, you say his toee is a bit swollen how about the bottom of his foot any sign of a sore that maybe infected? very important he doesn't drink any of the water with the Epsom salts in it, ES is a laxative also, but very good for helping with inflammation and infection. He needs to be in a small area so he rests his leg and is not doing a lot of walking, but water therapy would benefit him along with the soaks.

Uh Oh! He drank a bit of the water when I soaked him today. Tried to stop him-he didn't get much. I have soaked him both today and yesterday, seems to help a little bit. No sores or anything, was thinking maybe the water bucket got set on his foot but that does not explain the upper leg injury.

Uh Oh! He drank a bit of the water when I soaked him today. Tried to stop him-he didn't get much. I have soaked him both today and yesterday, seems to help a little bit. No sores or anything, was thinking maybe the water bucket got set on his foot but that does not explain the upper leg injury.
Hard to say he may have jumped down off of something, my drake once decided he wasn't going to use the ramp coming down from his pool and jumped to the ground sprained his leg, it was a good month of soaking and rest till he was up walking normal again. Hopefully soaks and rest will have him up and back to normal soon.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom