Why is my duck scared of a kiddie pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck15, Jul 25, 2011.

1. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    before when i my pond still had water he liked to swim in eat some green algae or something.
    i have a kiddie pool that is same size with the pond and same deepness but he seems scared in the kiddie pool and does not enjoy.he would get out quickly
    will it make a difference if the water is shallow?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:It is possible that the water is too clean. If you have designs in the pool it might be scaring the duck. I don't know but it's just a thought. Maybe put a towel on the bottom or something of a solid color. Can the duck get in on it's own? I had to make a step for my ducks. They love there pools.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He thinks there's a shark in there. [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is it easy to get into and out of? People often put ramps both outside and inside the kiddie pool.

Also, after you make sure getting out and in is easy for the duck, try tossing some treats into the pool!

5. LadyB

LadyB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    Issaquah, WA
    Is there a pattern on the bottom of the pool? I have a friend whose ducks were totally freaked out by the pattern on the bottom of the kiddie pool. She put some floating lillies and tossed grass scraps and put pebbles on the bottom and problem solved!

Good luck!

6. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    no they cant get in and out i just carry him and put him in

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Need ramps for safety, Especially if you have chickens, mine hated it too at first, now in and out all day. [​IMG]

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think ramps would be a good idea. Not being able to get out easily could be very unpleasant for the duck.

The ramps don't have to be super special, just something the ducks can walk on safely without scratching their feet. I think some people have used bricks, some have used wooden planks, some have used old slides from kiddie pools.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by