Why is my egg long and skinny like a duck egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Truscifi, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Truscifi

Truscifi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    I got my first Ameracauna egg today. It is a lovely blueish color, but it is oddly long and skinny, almost like a duck egg. What's up with that? My RIR and my Maran/Aracana cross laid normal shaped eggs from the get-go.

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    She's working out the technique right now. Just give her a little time.[​IMG]

3. Chester Hen

Chester Hen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Yorktown, Virginia
    My Easter-egger, Aubrey, has just started laying. Out of the dozen or so eggs she's laid so far she has laid one long, skinny egg and it turned out to be a double yolker. [​IMG]

4. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Our Ameraucana, Dusty started laying in August and her eggs were the same way. Since then they have gotten bigger and filled out more but haven't lost the longish oval shape completetly.

5. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I heard someone on this site call it a "pullet bullet" which describes it pretty well [​IMG] and I agree- she'll work it out

6. Truscifi

Truscifi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Ok, I'll give it some time. I hope it is a double yolker though, that would be cool!

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Because egg-laying is more of an art than a science to chickens. It takes practice to get technique [​IMG]

8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Pullet Bullet lol, I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by