Why is my egg production down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pippies Chicks, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Pippies Chicks

Pippies Chicks New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Arkansas
    I have 13 hens and 2 roosters. Before I picked up the last 8 hens and rooster I was getting 4 eggs a day from 5 hens, now i am getting 3-4 a day with 13 hens except for about once every week or two we will have eight or nine a day. I have heard that the heat could affect them and it has been in the upper 80's to mid 90's here in central Arkansas. I feed them about 4 solo cups of laying pellets and around 3 cups of chops split into two feedings (morning and evening). My pen is shaded at least half of the day and I have four 2ft x 2ft laying boxes. Another question is I made four 1ftx1ft boxes out of aluminum but they keep throwing all of the hay I put in there out every time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A little more information would be helpful - for example, what are the ages and breeds (if known) of your birds? How large is the enclosure they are being kept in? How long have you had the flock together? The average feed consumption for an adult LF bird is 1/3 pound per day - so with 15 birds in the flock you need to be providing around 5 pounds of feed per day - 7 solo cups full of mixed feed does not sound like it is likely to equal 5 pounds of feed and the dilution of the layer ration with the "chop" can be brining the overall protein and calcium intake of your birds below a level that sustains good laying condition. Are you supplementing their calcium with oyster shell, egg shells, etc? Are you feeding anything other than the 7 scoops of feed?

3. Pippies Chicks

Pippies Chicks New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    Arkansas
    I have 3 RIR, 1 Buff, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Welsummers, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Mix breeds and 2 spitzhaubens (at the insistance of my wife she calls them her dalmation chickens). The pen is 11ft x 26ft it has been a little over three weeks since I picked up the last 8 hens and rooster (I only have two because my sister is in love with the first one we got so we keep him around I didn't think that would hurt anything). We just weighed the food and it came out to a little less than 4 pounds, what is a good ratio of laying pellets to chops? They get table scraps and vegetables from the garden and we haven't used any of the supplements that you listed either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by