Why is my girl mounting my boy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LemonDoodles, Jul 17, 2011.

1. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    14 week old Pekins in the pool today. My girl Muddy (who is 2 lbs lighter than the boy, Olive) mounted him in the pool and they swam in circles like that for about a minute. He didn't seem to be fighting it all that much. She has been picking on him a little lately. Is this mounting a dominance thing or a sexual experimentation thing... or what? Crazy duckies!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    At 14 weeks does your male have curled tail feathers? I'm not sure of the sexes of mine but they go in circles with the one head hanging low and tail feathers in the air. I'm not sure if i got two females of one of each

3. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Strangely he does not have the feather yet, but I expect it soon. We are assuming he is a boy based on the voice and the fact that he is sooo much bigger than her.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's just a guess, but based on my all-girl runner flock, I think they're just having fun.

Some people speak in terms of dominance. I can't speak for all ducks - but that doesn't seem to be part of the "hop on top" activity here.

5. LemonDoodles

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    They do seem to be having fun. Maybe soon they will figure out that it's supposed to be the other way around!

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    She's asserting her dominance to him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by