why is my hen acting like a roo at 17 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Strader, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Strader

Strader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    I removed two roosters from my chicken house and I appear to have a Delaware hen that is acting like a rooster. She is large and does resemble a rooster, but cant tell because all of the (14) CHICKENS are (17) weeks old and none have started laying yet. Here is a pic and the larger one is the one riding the hens. No crowing yet so didn't thin she was a HE? all in photo are the same age.
    [​IMG]

2. gardengirl4288

gardengirl4288 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    Looks very roo-ish. My roo didn't crow until 18/19 weeks

3. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

The difference in size of comb and wattle to the others is looking much like it is a rooster. The angle of photo is difficult to tell, but are some of the tail feathers longer? If so then I would say boy.

4. Strader

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    I had two barred rocks in the pen till a week ago that were the same age. one of the barred rocks was crowing. I gave the two barred rocks to a friend. Weird that one barred rock had been crowing for four weeks and this Delaware hasn't crowed yet. Maybe late bloomer? although the one barred rock hadn't crowed yet. All the chickens I hatched and were the same age. I was hoping for Delaware rooster. Maybe I got one.

5. Strader

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    Yes that angle makes the tail feathers look shorter than they are.

6. gardengirl4288

Apr 11, 2014
    The first roo that was crowing may have been the alpha roo while the other boys didn't need to try as hard because they were sub to the crower. Now that he's gone your Delaware can be a real roo haha.

7. Strader

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    Cool I was praying for a rooster. These came from a good line.

8. Strader

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    sounds right, because I once had a Rhode island rooster that was not the dominate rooster in his original home. there was two other roos where he lived. He didn't crow until I had him in my pen for like 3 weeks. felt as though he was kinda beat down. I had no there roosters and he became the king.

9. Strader

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima
    Cool thanks for all the info.

10. gardengirl4288

Apr 11, 2014
    Glad you may have gotten the roo you had been hoping for! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by