why is my hen being horrible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    my hen who is third in the pecking order challenged the one abover her and won so she took her place now shes being really horrible she runs around pecking the others and flapping at them and she was about to go for the top hen but then she realised that wasnt a good idea when she was about to do it, and my bantam jamp on a perch because she walked in and then the hen started chasing her on the perch and she makes other hens move so she can lie were they are shes just being horrible even the head hen is alot nicer she dosent peck any of them unless they push her out the way or challenge her

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Could it be that some chickens are just meaner than others?

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    first of all please try to read what you just wrote and put in some endings to sentences and things one long sentence running forever can be really hard to read.

You're pretty much describing normal behavior. They'll do that. When the others have just plain had enough, they'll let her know about it. My head hen isn't like that either. She pretty much leaves everyone alone unless they cross the line. But every once in a while someone decides to move up and gets really bossy about it for a while but then it settles down.

Sorry for being a grammar police. It's just that I've been reading poor spelling and grammar for so long that my own is starting to suffer. And I now believe that I can't be the only one this is happening to.

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Ok, shes usuallya really nice hen never bothers anyone.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Johnn....that's just when you are watching.....

All kidding aside, I sometimes see little dinosaurs in my chicken run....and wonder what is this--- reinforcing galanie's idea that it is just normal chicken behavior.

Sometimes-- coincidence, or cause-and-effect I don't know if I boost the feed and put in another feeding station---they are all fat and happy. Chicknes are --- well, Chickens afterall......

6. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    today she took it to the next step today, when i fed them there is two chicken sheds i out food in both then sprinkle some out side and she went in one shed to eat and she garded it every time a chicken went in all you heard was a massive squak and the one she won in a fight last week when that one put its head through the pop hole she grabbed a hold of its head and started yanking then that hen went in the shed because wshe followed the boss hen because them two are best friends and babs (the bully) started picking on her again then the top hen got sick and chased her out, so she came out and started chasing the others shes getting worse every day

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Sounds to me like, now that she has established her place at the top of the pecking order, she's just reminding the others that she's the boss. A not so gentle reminder, so to speak.
    I have this struggle going on in my flock right now. [​IMG] A chicken coup de tat.

8. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    no shes not the boss yet she second but i think shes going to challenge the boss soon and she betetr not win because she bad enough already

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:That is probably exactly what's going on, then-she's working her way up in the ranks. Once she establishes herself, she will most likely calm down.

10. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    she better calm donw because she really starting to annoy me now and if she wants to be boss picking on the others wont help shel have to challenge the head hen who will not give up easily because shes ruled the roost for over 3 years

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by