Why is my Hen crowing and could this affect the way it lays in the future?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hoonta, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Hoonta

Hoonta Chirping

Aug 15, 2017
    I have a hen that use to crow everyday over and over and over since I got a rooster in there with them, from what I can tell the hen and rooster don't have a bad relationship they don't fight or anything. But lately my hen has stopped crowing everyday and when he does his crow cuts out. he is about 4 to 5 months yet and he is not laying can anyone tell me why this is happening? thats what she looks like

Attached Files:

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    :lau
    That sure looks like a rooster to me. I don't think he will ever lay an egg for you.

3. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Did you ever get an egg from her? I agree it looks like a rooster. If it was infact a hen could be an internal issue bad ovaries or something possibly never laying agian

4. Hoonta

Hoonta Chirping

Aug 15, 2017
    I have been told that it is a hen by others that I know who have there own coop and are very good with chickens it is very possible its a rooster but I don't think so, I will say she can be a little aggressive

5. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Say wha-a-at! That there is a rooster! However, I just read a story about a hen in China that switched her gender over to rooster. LOL

6. Hoonta

Hoonta Chirping

Aug 15, 2017
    Know that I think about it did hear something like that and did take into consideration that the hen could thinks its a rooster but idk

7. Bonniebooboo

Bonniebooboo Crowing

May 27, 2017
    Kansas
    He is a Rooster and if you bought another rooster and put in with him, that rooster may be older or more dominant and the younger rooster isn't challenging him and reduced his crowing so much because of having another rooster in there. That could well change when you do put hens in the pen. Sorry No eggs for you from that one.

8. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    That rooster has the pointy hackles and saddle feathers that are the mark of a rooster. At 4 to 5 months old, he is not going through a gender change.

When you introduced a more dominant rooster into your flock, the pecking order was settled very quickly and caused the cut back on his crowing to avoid bringing attention to himself.

9. SeramaMamma

SeramaMamma Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Idaho
    That's sure one manly hen...

You got you a roo there.

10. Hoonta

Hoonta Chirping

Aug 15, 2017
    well I have had the rooster for a while now for about 2 months and the chicken has just now started to cut down on his crowing and the rooster is very small its a Japanese Bantam I notice a difference between crows also, cause I have heard my other hen who is laying make the same noise and the rooster has a more distinct sound

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: