1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why is my hen laying eggs on the floor?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AllChookUp, May 22, 2008.

1. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Hey, everyone. I have 3 one-year-old hens that I just got from my cousin. I've had them since last Saturday. They seem to be adjusting pretty well, except for one thing: The last 2 days, there has been an egg on the floor bedding. I don't think the eggs have been knocked down there from the nest boxes by another hen. I think a hen is laying eggs down on the floor bedding.

I think the egg is from my small Cochin banty, who seems to want to sit in her next box all the time.

What would cause this behavior? Anything I can do to remedy it?

Thank you for any insights.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It could be because they are new and are not sure of where it is safe to lay an egg. Or it could be that someone was hogging the nest box and they just couldn't hold it in any longer. Sometimes just an adjustment period is necessary for them to learn their way around the coop. You may want to add a fake egg or golf ball to the nest box so they get the idea a little faster.

Jody

3. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I don't think it's about hogging the next box, because I have 6 identical nest boxes and only 3 hens. Unless they all love the same one, but I've seen them all in different nexts.

I'll try the golf ball thing - I saw my cousin do that once.

Thanks, Jody!
    Ron

4. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    You might also want to try and make the place they are laying on the floor less appealing to lay in temporarily. I had a problem with hens making a nest in one corner of the floor, so I started pushing all the bedding away from there so it was bare.

5. AllChookUp

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I could try that Laura, but I don't want a lot of droppings on bare floor. But if it comes to that, then OK.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by