Why is my hen loosing her broodiness?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Chickeneer, Jun 10, 2011.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I have a full grown hen that went broody snd hatched 9 chicks. Every thing was going well untill today. The chicks are only about three weeks old, and when I walked in the coop yesterday I found an egg in her nest box. I didn't think much of it until today, when I found another egg, and that she was no longer protective of the chiks. She didn't try to peck me when I grabed one of them, like she used to, and later today I saw her pecking her chicks and chasing them around [​IMG]. The chicks are still very young and I don't know what to do about it, this has never happened before, and I've had many broodies throughout the years. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looks like you'll need to separate and become their mama.

She'll lay for a couple of weeks and get broody again... it's what they do.

I like to take the broody mamas away from babies at about five weeks anyway.... gives me a chance to bond with them, by 5 weeks, all of the hard work is over.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Each broody is an individual. Some better than others. If she has started laying again she is finished with being a broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by