Why is my huge Cochin laying bantam eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilyBee, Mar 24, 2012.

1. LilyBee

LilyBee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I have a flock of seven, five of whom I've had for a few years. I got two chicks from a feed store at the beginning of October. One is a very sweet and BIG blue Cochin. She started laying about a month ago, and I am perplexed because she is laying perfect, little bantam-sized eggs. I've experienced "pullet" eggs, but I don't think that is what's going on here--these are consistently small eggs that look nearly identical to the eggs laid by our bantam Cochin (but one's light, one's dark, so I can tell them apart). She's the biggest bird in our flock . . . why is she laying such tiny little eggs??

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Because Cochins lay medium sized eggs. I have 12 standard Cochin girls, and their eggs very greatly. Some of them are bigger, some smaller, some darker, some lighter. But none of the eggs are anything close to the size of the large eggs you'd get at the grocery store. They're big 'ol birds that lay little eggs and hatch little babies :D good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by