Why is my Lab mix SO itchy? Help, she's hurting herself!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bock, Jul 2, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    My 10 year old Lab mix has been itching like crazy lately! She takes 5 steps, stops, and ITCHES! She ripped out 2 of her whiskers off of one side of her face, and now there are 2 big bloody holes on the right side of her face. She also ripped a chunk of skin off right above her eye. Yesterday I noticed 2 quarter sized scabs in the same spot on her right and left sides under her ribs. I put Neosporin on her cuts, but she licked it off and rubbed it on the carpet. [​IMG] She also itches near her ears quite a lot. She has always chewed on her paws until they became raw and sore, but lately it seems to have increased. I was kind of worried about her, so I gave her a bath with oatmeal shampoo yesterday and trimmed and filed her toenails. I thought that would help her, but she seems to be itching even worse now. [​IMG] My other dog does not have any of these problems, except for the occasional itch from a bug or whatever. They get Advantage flea meds every month. I recently switched them from Purina Dog Chow (which is supposed to cause allergies) to Blue Buffalo 2 or 3 weeks ago. I think the itching was already happening before that though. [​IMG] What could possibly be causing this? We are worried the cuts will get infected. Please help!

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    She probably has allergies. The vets have allergy shots that you give them once a month and it works wonders! I had a dog that required the shots every month.

3. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Are those expensive? And do you have to got to the vet every month to get them? Someone at TSC today suggested getting some dog allergy medicine from Walmart, do you think that would help? Oh yeah, and what exactly is causing the allergies? Sorry for all the questions, but she needs help!

4. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Sounds like allergies to me too. Both my bullies get hot spots in the summer. I have to watch for them. They go from intact skin to oozing pussy messes in a matter of hours it seems.

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Any number of things could be causing allergies. Rule fleas and ear mites are out first. Don't quote me but I do believe you can give dogs benadryl...not sure of the dose though.

6. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    When my dog developed allergies I changed the food. I had to make food for her and it worked like a charm. I have to say my MIL nagged me to change the food for YEARS and I didn't do it. After just a month on the homemade food all skin issues disappeared COMPLETELYl

But we did go to the vet FIRST and did the allergy testing. Out of 46 items tested she tested severely allergic to 26 things, including grass. How do you tell a dog to stay off the grass???

The vet then told me I could buy special allergy dog food, but it was VERY expensive. So we did not follow that path.

These were our experiences, but changing the dog food made all the difference in the world.

We now have another dog of the same breed (Great Pyr) and we started her on the homemade food from the start. For two years now, no skin issues.

YMMV

7. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I don't know if I'm up to the homemade food thing. [​IMG] Though we do think she's allergic to grass.... But like you said, how do you keep a dog out of grass! [​IMG]

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I forgot to add, we just bought a bag of 4health dog food today because it is cheaper than Blue, but just as good. So if she is allergic to the food then I should find out if she improves. [​IMG]

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I live in a small town and have figured out that our Vet's are much much cheaper than others. But, the shot I had to get cost me like $10 per month. It was not very expensive at all.

10. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Oh, well maybe I will ask the vet about that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by