why is my leghorn laying brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by halfwaynowhere, Aug 28, 2008.

1. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    there were three brown eggs laid yesterday. so my leghorn is laying brown. My mom is happy, she's wanted all brown eggs, but I was looking forward to a bit more variety. This hen has the biggest bright white earlobes ever. I was disappointed to see the brown egg. Does this mean she's a mutt? I got her from a feed store, she's a hatchery chick, although i can't remember which hatchery they are from. Any ideas what she might be? She's got that lean leghorn build...

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    What color is she?

3. halfwaynowhere

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    she's brown, duckwing patterned... I suppose its possible that she's not a leghorn at all, but thats what i always thought...

4. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I think you have something other than a brown leghorn.
    Google brown leghorn, the first item to come has a nice photo of a brown leghorn

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I have a white leghorn that lays a tan egg. She may have something else in her lineage, but to look at, she is all leghorn. We used to raise leghorns when I was growing up and my grandma did also....this gal LOOKS like a "foghorn" [​IMG] but lays like something else.....big, tan eggs!

6. halfwaynowhere

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    she really does look like a leghorn, very similar to the pics i found on google... I'll try to get a picture later today, but she's really flighty, so its hard...
    my mom is happy about brown eggs. she was disappointed when we first IDed her as a leghorn, she didn't want any white eggs, thinking they'd look too commercial... still, i was looking forward to a bit of variety...

7. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    flighty = leghorn

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  8. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a pearl white leghorn, she used to lay large "WHITE" eggs, since she has been mated with a RIR roo, she lays light tan eggs:idunno!! i put her in a separate pen by her self, just to make sure!![​IMG]

9. judy101

judy101 New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    I just got a 9 month old white leghorn 3 days ago,she is a picture perfect white leghorn and laying brown eggs. I'm very disappointed I don't eat brown call me crazy. anyone know what might make this happen? thanks Judy

10. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Judy I'll be happy to call you crazy for not eating brown eggs.

Your crazy. ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by