Why is my new hen still getting picked on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by plester01, Dec 7, 2007.

1. plester01

plester01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    I got 4 new hens on Saturday and one of them is still getting picked on. She hides in the nest and only comes out when the others are outside. Should I be worried or will they eventually come around?

Here is a picture of her, she is supposed to be a Cochin.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    They will soon develop a pecking order and stop. I had that happen, and in about a week they knew who was top chick. You can tell who is first in the pecking order by watching which one goes into the coop first at night. I hope this helps. Good luck. Laura

3. plester01

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    Well that is an easy one my Millie Fluer Roo is the first one in. He is already on top of the list. I guess she will be at the bottom. That is ashame too because she is one of only 2 that I have that lets me hold them. She is the most tame. She comes running when I go out and practically beggs me to pick her up. I have not picked her up since Wed. hoping that the others will pick on her less. But I am glad that it will get better.

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I ran into a similar problem with a new pullet. I brought her (and her cock boyfriend) in at the same time. He fought back when the Big Girls had an attitude.. she didn't. He firmly found his place within a few days. I've had her for.. 2 mos now and finally within the last week they seem to be leaving her alone. My only problem chicken is a young cockeral who still chases her (but he's soon to be culled). Everyone else seems to have accepted that she's staying.. FINALLY! She's such a sweetie it's been heartbreaking. But she still comes into the henhouse when she knows I'm in there, and I nearly stepped on her yesterday because she was so eager to be petted LOL!

Anyway, it'll take time. But they'll settle in. Some chickens have more confidence than others, and just seem to adapt better.

Meghan

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    She looks more like a light Brahma!

Brahmas are very good with people so pick her up she wants love!

Yes they will find their pecking order BUT, when you add chickens to a flock they should be the same size or you will have problems!

((I keep new additions in a dog create for the first coulpe weeks so they can see each other with out touching))

They say before that you should have them apart 200yds for 30 days to make sure you are not bring a chicken that might be carry something.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, I agree that she is a Light Brahma. It works well to introduce the newbies with a fence between the present flock and the newcomers, so the flock can get use to seeing them, before they actually move in on their territory.

bigzio

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Man you guys ruined it I thought I had a light brahma, then saw the picture above and thought , how cool I got a Cochin, now I have a brahma again [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Brahmas rock!!!
    It will eventually settle down...
    But that being said, Obelisk couldn't stand Penny when she was first brought home...if they're outside and running around things are fine. Now with it being cold and crappy, they're inside and Obelisk is thumping Penny again...your birdies may need a diversion, just like Obelisk does.

9. plester01

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    Oh! a Brama? Is that a bantam breed? I was told that she was a cochin by the lady that sold me this one as well. What is she?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are two different views of the same girl. She is also sweet but does not run when picked on.

10. plester01

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    Well today they are getting along much better than they have been. The Cochin has fit in well, the seabrights still stay to themselves but are doing ok. The Brahma is still getting picked on but not as much. I think if she would stop running away she would fit in much better. I think that mabey shw is not used to living as a flock but as a hand held pet. She is slowly adjusting. I do love to hold her though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by