Why is my Pekin Rooster attacking the Silkie hens?

MiniChickenMommy

Chirping
Sep 6, 2020
Hello all,
I bought 4 new chickens today to add to my existing 2. I bought 2 pekin hens and 2 silkies hens, now Roo who is a Pekin has taken really well to the 2 new Pekin hens, but has been constantly attacking the 2 silkies 😱 to the point I've brought them in the house for the moment whilst I figure out what to do... Roo can be quite vicious and I just don't want them getting hurt 😕
Any suggestions please🙏??

How peculiar!! 🤔 I think in the first instance then I shall get a new coop for the 2 silkies as I really don't want to put them in roo's coop and come out to 2 dead chickens in the morning, and I do think Roo is entirely capable of murder 😬😅

No didn't just chuck them in the coop 😂 I kept the new ones in the crate for around an hour whilst I did some bits and bobs around the garden, and Roo was doing his little dance around them all and showing lots of interest, then I let them all out together closely supervised and he started scuffing at the silkies and pecking them initially, completely different to how he was behaving with the Pekins. Anyway I told him No! And pecked him with my finger. Then he left them alone for a while and they explored the garden, but being careful to avoid Roo, then out of nowhere he just flew at them spurs out and has been like that with them all afternoon, to the point I was worried he was going to cause damage so I brought them in.

No didn't just chuck them in the coop 😂 I kept the new ones in the crate for around an hour whilst I did some bits and bobs around the garden, and Roo was doing his little dance around them all and showing lots of interest, then I let them all out together closely supervised and he started scuffing at the silkies and pecking them initially, completely different to how he was behaving with the Pekins. Anyway I told him No! And pecked him with my finger. Then he left them alone for a while and they explored the garden, but being careful to avoid Roo, then out of nowhere he just flew at them spurs out and has been like that with them all afternoon, to the point I was worried he was going to cause damage so I brought them in.

The see-don't-touch period should be more like a week than an hour. :)

Here are some useful articles on integration:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

I have tried see no touch method for over a month to integrate some Cochin Bantams together and the hens still fight! Some just dont get along.

Thank you, they were very interesting and informative reads!
Honestly I didn't think there would be any problems as Roo has been on his own for the best part of a month so thought he would welcome the new company, well I suppose he sort of did, but I never expected a chicken to be racist lmao 🤣 it's the buff coloured one he goes for more too 😅

I will then from tomorrow put the silkies in the coop run whilst Roo and his 2 pekin hens are out in the garden, and continue that for up to a month. I will still probably have to get a new coop for the silkies to sleep in at night as they are currently in my dogs crate in the kitchen.
I do feel slightly bad about them being cooped up all day though, would it be reasonable to swap them over half way through the day so the silkies can stretch their legs outside?

Thank you, they were very interesting and informative reads!
Honestly I didn't think there would be any problems as Roo has been on his own for the best part of a month so thought he would welcome the new company, well I suppose he sort of did, but I never expected a chicken to be racist lmao 🤣 it's the buff coloured one he goes for more too 😅

I will then from tomorrow put the silkies in the coop run whilst Roo and his 2 pekin hens are out in the garden, and continue that for up to a month. I will still probably have to get a new coop for the silkies to sleep in at night as they are currently in my dogs crate in the kitchen.
I do feel slightly bad about them being cooped up all day though, would it be reasonable to swap them over half way through the day so the silkies can stretch their legs outside?

It would be better to set up an arrangement where the birds can be together in sight of each other all day but protected so that they can't hurt each other.

This is one iteration of my integration pen: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mini-coop-or-integration-pen-from-a-large-dog-crate.76593/

Hello all,
I bought 4 new chickens today to add to my existing 2. I bought 2 pekin hens and 2 silkies hens, now Roo who is a Pekin has taken really well to the 2 new Pekin hens, but has been constantly attacking the 2 silkies 😱 to the point I've brought them in the house for the moment whilst I figure out what to do... Roo can be quite vicious and I just don't want them getting hurt 😕
Any suggestions please🙏??
Get the silkies a new area to be separated or kill the Roo

Back
Top Bottom