why is my pig...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by laughing man, Jan 20, 2011.

1. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    why does my pig wet and soil his hay. i clean it once a month, he has ton of run space,food and new water 2 times a day. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Tell you what. I'll find you the answer, if you find me the answer to why one of my horses has to go IN the barn to go to the bathroom. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    or why does my fainter buck think its necessary to pee, poop, and sleep in the feed tub of hay?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. HopeMissouri

HopeMissouri Out Of The Brooder

I have no pig experience.

But! I know why my horse boys come into the barn to relieve themselves in the hay or shavings: So they don't splash on themselves.

When we quit putting shavings in their run-in at the back of the barn, they started going outside more often than inside. When we set up round bale holders to feed them their flakes of hay outside, they quit peeing in their hay. Little stinkers!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Aha! no more hay on the floor of the barn! [​IMG]

6. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    easy... no one wants splashed on lol. had a pony that if the bucket was too low he pooped in it. ended up putting the water/food bucket as high as it would go and be accessible while I put a manure bucket in the corner of his stall. unless he was outside he went in the manure bucket. [​IMG]

7. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Because he can....

male pigs are much less inclined to care about dirtying their space. I use a large dog house with hay for them to sleep in during the winter, that way there is not as much room to get into a potty position. [​IMG] Course it doesn't stop them from pushing what mud they can get into it...

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have a friend who handles dogs at field trials. He took me over to one pen and asked, "See anything unusual?" I noticed that the water bucket was hung up close to the top of the pen with just enough room for the dog to get his head in to drink. Upon looking closer, I noticed that there were dog feces in the bucket. This dog insisted on pooping in the bucket regardless of how high it was hung. He had to elevate his butt in the air and balance on his front legs to accomplish this. Why? I have one beagle who will defecate in his food dish if I don't remove it immediately after he finishes eating. Why?

9. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Some animals are just sick!! Oh wait we weren't talking about my sons were we????

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm going with the "splash" theory. For our 45th anniversary thePrincess and I went to Australia. For their urinals you urinate against the wall and the urine goes down the wall through a grating. One rapidly learns to stand back from the wall. STAND BACK FROM THE WALL![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by