why is my pig...

laughing man

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
westfield mass
why does my pig wet and soil his hay. i clean it once a month, he has ton of run space,food and new water 2 times a day.
he.gif
barnie.gif

or why does my fainter buck think its necessary to pee, poop, and sleep in the feed tub of hay?
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I have no pig experience.

But! I know why my horse boys come into the barn to relieve themselves in the hay or shavings: So they don't splash on themselves.

When we quit putting shavings in their run-in at the back of the barn, they started going outside more often than inside. When we set up round bale holders to feed them their flakes of hay outside, they quit peeing in their hay. Little stinkers!

easy... no one wants splashed on lol. had a pony that if the bucket was too low he pooped in it. ended up putting the water/food bucket as high as it would go and be accessible while I put a manure bucket in the corner of his stall. unless he was outside he went in the manure bucket.
lol.png

Because he can....

male pigs are much less inclined to care about dirtying their space. I use a large dog house with hay for them to sleep in during the winter, that way there is not as much room to get into a potty position.
smile.png
Course it doesn't stop them from pushing what mud they can get into it...

I have a friend who handles dogs at field trials. He took me over to one pen and asked, "See anything unusual?" I noticed that the water bucket was hung up close to the top of the pen with just enough room for the dog to get his head in to drink. Upon looking closer, I noticed that there were dog feces in the bucket. This dog insisted on pooping in the bucket regardless of how high it was hung. He had to elevate his butt in the air and balance on his front legs to accomplish this. Why? I have one beagle who will defecate in his food dish if I don't remove it immediately after he finishes eating. Why?

I'm going with the "splash" theory. For our 45th anniversary thePrincess and I went to Australia. For their urinals you urinate against the wall and the urine goes down the wall through a grating. One rapidly learns to stand back from the wall. STAND BACK FROM THE WALL!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom